Halogen bulbs?

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
What lights can I safely use Halogens in? I'm talking about PR base ones not bipin. I just bought and old Halogen light and if I like it I will want to use such bulbs in Maglites and the like.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on how hot they get. Ones that don't draw much current are fine in any light. Higher-current bulbs (often ones designed for rechargeable sticks) can get pretty toasty and will melt plastic reflectors or bulb holders.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The HPR 52 is listed at 2.38W watts from what I saw. I don't think you will have any problem running them in a normal 2C/2D light either. When you start getting into the higher power lamps you have to start looking at aluminum reflectors, glass lenses, the current capacity of the switch and tailcap. And the ability of the batteries to power the higher powered lamp. But with normal low powered lamps there's not much to worry about.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a halogen bulb hp52, (5.2 V 800ma, cylindrical envelope, straight filament) in a 4D maglite, I saw no real difference, no issues with heat, cuz there probably was not any, cuz alkalines sag more with higher draw bulb, I did see an improvement to a beam when used in large reflector 6v lanterns, but only in focus, not the brightness.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 0.8 Amp draw of that bulb is about the same the Maglite bulb was running of
--> as everyone typed: not the least to worry about