Infinity Ultra spotbeam

skates

Newly Enlightened
New guy says hey! Really enjoy these forums. Decided to take apart an old German box camera that was toast to see if I could put the lenses to any use. I mounted the two high quality glass lenses in two brackets that were in the camera, including a brass retaining ring from the camera. Then I used steel epoxy resin to put it all together and mounted it on the Ultra's bezel ring. After I flattened the end of the unit, and added the new optics, the total length is only 3.9 inches. It's got a 50 to 60 foot throw of useable light. I should add that everything on the Ultra is stock except the added optics. Probably won't stand up to a Hummer running over it, but it is durable enough for an EDC.
Beam1.jpg
DCP14062.jpg
DCP14063.jpg
[/image]

paulr

Flashaholic
Nice. You can do something similar with one of those cheap plastic slide loupes.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
good job. I don't use my infinity because the beam is so weak. I held up one of those camera lenses and it made a nice beam, but I didn't do anything with it. Happy camera hunting!
p.s. Why did you use two lenses? Most flashlights for sale today only have one lens.

skates

Newly Enlightened
The reason for the two lenses is that both were needed to step up the magnification to be effective, and still keep the package small.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice clean job skates, can we see some more closeup shots of the head of the infinity?

zapper

Enlightened
You can do basically the same with a cheap pair of compact binoculars that costs $5. Shine it through the eyecup and bam! Same effect! Very nice mod skates, I was wondering how to do the same thing permanently as well.

skates

Newly Enlightened
Here's three more pics. This camera doesn't do macro very well, so please excuse the blur.
DCP14067.jpg
DCP14068.jpg
DCP14069.jpg

skates

Newly Enlightened
Yea! I found that carrying binoculars around in your pocket can really be uncomfortable, not to mention embarassing. (joke). Go to fea markets and garage sales and you will find an old box camera somewhere. Probably five or ten bucks would do it. You'll need the outer focal lense and the inner shutter lense. You should be able to use the mounting rings from the camera as well.

skates

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Mike. Just imagine what'll happen if I tackle something bigger. (be right there dear!)