Luxeon Star 8 AA Flashlight

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a link to a vintage flashlight, a Ranger Scoville flashlight, in which I put 8 AA batteries, and a green Luxeon Star.

Luxeon Star 8 AA flashlight

It is also in the 'For Sale' section of this CPF forum.

CPF

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com
grin.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast
ElektroLumens,

Excellent mod!

You certainly find new uses for a lot of vintage flashlights. The green is really cool; have you taken it outside to test in the dark yet? Just wondering what the green looks like outside, as where I live the trees and grass have finally turned green again.

I bet that sucker is blindingly bright; kind of like a green laser with a wide beam angle?

Again, excellent mod. You've certainly created a one of a kind flashlight there. Gona make somebody real happy on ebay.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Lamda,

Thanks for the compliments! I have been looking for a flashlight that would accomodate a Radio Shack 4 AA or 8 AA battery pack. The diameter of this flashlight is more than most, and the battery packs fit inside perfect. I had the Luxeon Star green, and didn't know what to do with it.

At night, the green of trees, or white, or similar colors really stand out. Red's, which do not reflect green very well, do not look so bright. Different colors, depending on how much green in is them, reflect differently. Overall, it is amazingly bright.

I originally put it up on eBay a while back, but then took it down. I decided to sell it direct, and there is a thread on it in the selling section of the CPF.

I found another one of these flashlights on eBay, and purchased it, but it has not come yet. I'll put a white LED in it. Not sure how long 8 AA's last, but probably a long time! That's probably about 8 or 9 amp hours, about the same as 3 'C' cells.

I've been looking at your mods, and think they're great too, especially that Illuminator you've done. I've sort of gotten away from the electronics myself, because it takes so long to assemble the circuit boards.

grin.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! That thing looks bright. I never thought of putting green into a high powered hand-held light, but just to give low level illumination. I have to admit, though, as soon as I turn my handheld torch on, my night vision goes right out the window.

I can see using it to shine an occasional spot on something out in the woods. You usually don't need the color rendition, you just need to see the general shape.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JollyRoger:
Wayne, you ever consider putting 8AA nimh (1.2V each) and running 3 luxeons in series (3.2V x 3). This would be perfect!

I want to do this with a 2D mag light...might have to shave down the corners of the 8AA battery holder.

I almost did it...I almost bought a 2D mag at Target the other day...but then I actually stood back and thought, "Wait a minute...I don't like big flashlights
wink.gif
"

But this would be cool....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tried to fit an 8 AA battery holder into a Mag Lite, and probably most every 2 'D' cell flashlight I could find. The battery holder, no matter how much you trim it, just will not fit in smoothly. You might be able to cram it in, but it would be extremely hard to remove.

Using multiple Luxeon Star's is a great idea. However, I find for most any use a single Luxeon Star produces plenty of light. Now, for a bike light, I think perhaps 2 or 3 Luxeon Stars would be a good idea. You can never get enough light for night time bike riding. I just purchased a bike light, and plan to do a 2 Luxeon Star mod with it, using an external battery source.

I like big flashlights because of the long battery life. As I told you before, though, that I sure get funny looks when I carry them in my pocket.
shocked.gif
Just kidding!

I have the LithiumLux, the 2 Lithium flashlight, which is pretty small. Sometimes I carry it in my pocket, but it's still a little big for that.

grin.gif

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Wayne, you ever consider putting 8AA nimh (1.2V each) and running 3 luxeons in series (3.2V x 3). This would be perfect!

I want to do this with a 2D mag light...might have to shave down the corners of the 8AA battery holder.

I almost did it...I almost bought a 2D mag at Target the other day...but then I actually stood back and thought, "Wait a minute...I don't like big flashlights
wink.gif
"

But this would be cool....