Last ditch long runtime backup light

HesNot

Enlightened
Given that many of the lights we rely on as primary lights frequently have less than 3 hours of runtime and we can only have so many extra batteries (well OK I know some folks have quite a few extra batteries, but assuming you've got on average 1 or 2 extra sets) what is everyone's last ditch long runtime backup light for when the storm hits and the power goes out for 3 or more days (which I've had happen even in a bad storm around here)?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a LightWave 4000 they claim around 720 of battery life. I don't think it will go that long with any real light but it will go a few days as I have tested it. I also use my Surefire M6 with a KL2 head and old used up batteries, which gives me one to two hours of good light and uses up old spent batteries.

redcar

Enlightened
L1 on low. One battery, .65 Lumen, 50 hours.

More than enough light to read, open an MRE, light your stove, use the bathroom or keep from stepping on the cat.

Plus you have instant access to roughly 15 lumens if you need it.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag4D + Luxeon 3 TWOL. 16 solid hours of runtime from that without reloads. I am fortunate enough not to be caught in the midst of storm country, if not, my light would be a variation of this one modified for D-cells. This would probably give me something like 30-40 hours of light, and I'd probably only need it 8 hours a night at most.

I keep enough lights sitting around and loaded (not counting spares) that I will probably have enough power for 24 continuous hours of light (3 nights worth).

PS: Plus, there are the perennial CPF favorites such as the CMG Inf Ultra and the ArcAAA that will run forever on a single battery. All I need to do is keep two AA cell spares (how hard is that when Duracell's giving me 18 cells for $5.99? That's 30 cents an alkaline..), and each battery will give me 12 hours of regulated, full power light. But that makes things too simple /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I tried a battery discharge test on the Infinity Ultra, and I discovered firsthand why they call it the INFINITY, because after 4 DAYS, the dang thing still keeps ticking - not a heck of a lot of light, but in a totally dark room, still useable.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
redcar said:
L1 on low. One battery, .65 Lumen, 50 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto! This is part of my EDC for that very reason.

Other equivalents: Firefly w/2 stage switch on low, SF U2 on low.

Of course, Arc 4+ and the various HDS lights.

Also consider, CMG/Gerber Infinity, Infinity Ultra.

The Minimag w/Newbeam isn't bad either. Very usable amount of light and 10hr runtime.

The new 4AA eLED lights from UK would probably get the job done as well. I don't recall the runtime - Roy probably has it on his runtime page.

Prior to the some of these newer lights, I had Turtlelite II's w/lithiums.

-john

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed on most of the above, i.e. Infinity/Ultra, Arc AA, UKE 4aa eLed. Others with long runtimes I can think of... Eternalight, Elektrolumens AngleLux, MilkyCandle, UKE 2aaa eLed, Energizer 2 Led Folding lantern, Splashlite Led, Swisslight (solar), SL Twintasks (running Leds), etc.. Oh, and most 3-4 Led headlamps might fit the bill too, e.g. Petzl Tikka/Zipka (Plus), Pelican Headsup 3Led, Inova 24/7, etc..

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
Everled in a 4D Mag.
Arc AA.
Arc LS with AA battery pack. Rechargable AAs , Can use DC powercord to recharge from car or from Vector 3 Million CP spotlight. Alkalines run for several hours of usable light after falling out of regulation, even half dead AAs are of some use.

PeterW

Enlightened
You could also use bits of strontium aluminate glow sheeting. Blacken the sides and back of a small piece a few inches across. Charge it up and it'll give you enough glow to find your way around for hours, then all you need to do is briefly charge it up again with a 'proper' light. You could make your flashlights go on for months this way. Also as it is a faint glow, it doen't dazzle as much as a light would.

Kind of off topic I know

PEterW

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
check out the surefire U2. according to their catalog, the Surefire U2 would run for about 4 days with 2 limens of out put, with two batteries in it. SO i think it would fit the bill. And since it's surefire ,i totally trust their quotes of runtime.
Nick

ubermensch

Enlightened
The LED tailcap on a Pila light would run for several days.
Or get a light with variable output, as in the Lionheart, U2, Pocketmate, VIP, et cetera.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tektite lithium?
Near arc aaa brightness and arround 10 entire days of continuous and consistant runtime in a relatively small and waterproof package...
The cells are kinda expensive, hard to get and a pain to dispose of though...

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
In every room.........

Minimag w/1 LED direct drive, draws 13 mA @ 3v. A great candle.
PT Attitude
UK 4AA eLED

Other low level lights..........

Dorcy Cool Blue...1 LED w/4AA
PT Impact...1 LED w/4AA

Multi-level lights............

Nuwai 3C...45 mA on low, 275 mA on high
Streamlight TT 2D
Streamlight TT 3C

Higher level lights..........

EL Anglelux w/reflector
EL FT-3C w/reflector
Everled in 3D
Tektite Expedition 300
Streamlight ProPoly 3C

paulr

Flashaholic
Just use your flashlights sparingly and you should be able to get through a 3 day outage just fine on a few hours of runtime. Use the daylight when it's available, go to sleep when it's dark out, use flashlights when you need them to get from one place to another in the dark, but for the most part stay put unless you need to go somewhere. Having said that, a handsfree light is a very useful thing.

People got by just fine for millions of years with no flashlights at all. As for last ditch lights, Countycomm has some yellow-LED squeeze lights for 75 cents each that should run for several days nonstop (they are momentary-only though). They are rather dim, but should be plenty for finding your way across a dark room.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
2 ElektroLumens Blasters
2 ElektroLumens Tri-Stars
4 MiniMags with Opalec NewBeams
1 Princeton Tec Impact
4 CMG Infinitys
4 CMG Infinity Ultras
4 ARC AAs
8 ARC AAAs
2 Inove X1s
5 Inova X5Ts
2 Energizer 4AA 2LED folding lanterns
2 Coleman Remote Control Lanterns

I also have 2 5mm LEDs that are in a PR base for use in 4 cell lights. I can use them in PT Tec 40 or 4C/4D mags for example or PT Vortec headlamp.

2 ARC4s
2 Surefire A2s
1 Surefire L1

Surefire L1 BK/2x123/PR-T BK/X4T/BB750...built by McGizmo
Surefire L1 BK/2x123/PR-T BK/TWAK/DB917..built by McGizmo

Headlamps:

2 Petzl Duo
2 Petzl Zipka
1 Streamlight Septor
1 Streamlight Trident
1 Princeton Tec Corona
2 Princeton Tec Yukon HL