Too Scared To EDC My Arc's .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfectionist

Enlightened
Too Scared To EDC My Arc\'s .....

I am way too worried about losing the few Arc's I have that I'm scared to actually EDC them like I normally do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I don't wanna retire them to a safety deposit box either as it would be like owning a Ferrari and keeping her in the garage never to be driven /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

In fact I'm even thinking of selling the ones I have just so that they keep doing the job they were made for.....

What is everyone else gonna do with their Arc's now - still EDC or NEC (Never Ever Carry !)

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Too Scared To EDC My Arc\'s .....

I'm using mine as normal. Can't see selling them or tucking them away some place. They were meant for everyday use, that's why I have them and that's how I intend to constinue using them. If I happen to lose mine, well that would be a shame. Can I replace them, not easily, but I can't worry about that and will worry that problem if/when it should arise. The biggest tribute to Peter, Merri, their staff and this light is to continue using them as you normally would.

Just my opinion,
Mike

jtice

Flashaholic

Carry, and use them to death, thats what Peter made them for, thats what he would want done with them.

I know what you mean though, its hard to think about loosing/breaking them

-John

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast

Had been carrying a goldengadgets.com light. Today, I have my Arc Grey Kit. . . . . in memorial of Peter and his crew. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/au.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I have an Arc-AAA PE on my keychain, and that's where it's going to stay for the forseeable future.
Arcs were meant to be carried and used; I don't see any reason to do otherwise now.

My prototype Arc-LS - that's a different story now.
I had it near my computer before; now it's in more safety.

knifebright

Enlightened

This is the same as when I used to buy high end knives and treat them like they were made of glass. It's kinda funny like that. We tend to treat the higher end stuff very carefully and the cheap knock off garbage, use and abuse. In reality the opposite is true. The higher end stuff is made to take a beaten. I've been using a Benchmade 722 for 6 years since the day It prereleased. It is amazing how well it looks. Recently i've been using other knives that only collected dust on the shelf with my lights. Now i've been edc'ing my daltons and microtech and they are going in my pocket right on next to my arc and sf. The point of this is that I think arc lights are made to take anything we can throw at them. Things that come with lifetime warrantys tend not to be the ones that break. I'm going to continue to use my arc as it was meant to be and hope i don't loose it.
jimmy

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast

I will continue to use my Arc4 and AAA everyday. That is why they were made. But I can understand that some may want to preserve the lights by not using them as much.

Peter

Byron Walter

Enlightened

I'm going to use my Arc lights like there is no tomorrow. Right now I have a gen 1 twisty in my pocket next to my EDC Carson knife.

And every time my Arc gets me outta a dark situation I will bid Peter a silent 'thank you.'

Thanks, Peter

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually I lost more items not using them than using them. And I like the look from used things

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

I'll still carry my AAA. The AA and LSL will probably be placed on a slightly higher pedestal than the one they're now on.

mapson

Enlightened

I ordered one just last night (even though I said in another thread that I probably won't due to warranty, etc). If mine comes through, I will edc it until it dies, and when it dies, I won't throw it away, I'll keep it on a shelf in view as a reminder of Arc the Company and the great little light.

Blikbok

Enlightened

The proper salute to a fallen soldier is to soldier on.

Peter: I have my LSP, AA, and AAA on me right now and they are going to live out the rest of their lives doing what you intended them to do. Thanks for such a great product.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast

You gotta use em! They were designed to work, and they will. I will be more careful with them, specially the Arc4 and its switch issues, by not letting others use it nearly as much. Just go on about your daily life and use them! Thats why they were made.
Cameron

Harrkev

Enlightened

Don't worry about it.

I, too, am saddened by Arc's passing. But look at it this way: Peter was a trailblazer, and a very good one. So I am certain that people will follow in his footsteps. Within a few months, there will be products which fill Arc's void. Peak can handle the AAA void, and HDS should be able to fill the Arc4+ void. They will likely not have the same service or integrity, but Peter raised the bar to almost unattainable levels.

I will miss Arc, but life goes on, and a free marketplace will quickly fill the voids.

So go ahead and use 'em. By the time that you loose one, you should be able to find something close to replace it.

paulr

Flashaholic

Displaying a light on the shelf might honor it, but carrying it and using it every day the way its maker intended, honors it even more.

mridude

Newly Enlightened

If anybody who ever watches PBS's "Antique Road Show" knows:
If it's not in pristine condition with original packaging then it should have the much desired "The love worn sheen of a proper patina from constant use and care."
Not destroyed but lovingly used and cared for...for a long time...and with good care these things, especially the AA & AAA should last a very long time and wear in beautifully!

Deanster

Enlightened

I'd feel vastly better about someday losing or destroying my beaten, chipped, scarred Arc LS or AAA than having it pristine in the drawer.

I have a couple Arcs (LS on 2xAA twisty, and AA) with lithiums that are drawer queens, as they are my true emergency lights, but the rest get used all the time. Wouldn't feel right about it any other way.

If it gets lost, at least it got lost doing what it was meant to do - be your EDC.

mrdee3

Newly Enlightened

i have a arc 4 rev-2 as a EDC and don't plan to change that when it brakes or doesent work any more then i'll put it on a shelf if not lost the only way to honor arc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Listen guys. Storing your ARCS away and never using them again is the biggest insult we can send to Peter. The little bit we've learned about Peter over the last few years shows us his intent was to carry and use his lights ALL THE TIME. When you had to reach for a light, reaching for an ARC was Peter's goals. Being fearful of using them or losing them is a slap in the face in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.