Mt.St. Helens rumbling !Ok now this is serious!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: Mt.St. Helens rumbling!

I heard about this yesterday, and that geologist say that no eruption (isn't that a Van Halen song? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) is iminent.

thesurefire

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
I heard about this yesterday, and that geologist say that no eruption (isn't that a Van Halen song? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) is iminent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt that what they said the first time? At any rate yes, it cant be good.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I wasn't anywhere near Washington state when Mt. St. Helens last went off on 05-18-80, so I don't know what geologists had to say when it went off then.

Aloft

Enlightened

[/ QUOTE ]

Isnt that what they said the first time? At any rate yes, it cant be good.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fact, I think they felt an eruption was imminent the first time. That's why the evacuated a lot of residents from the area. Some smaller eruptions helped convince them of this. IIRC, they allowed many back in to get their stuff on May 17, 1980, since no major eruption had taken place. Next morning. . . BLAM! If you get a chance, a visit to the observatory on Johnston Ridge is really worthwhile. It's amazing how far away some people were killed (David Johnston, for whom the ridge is now named, among them). As a ham radio operator, I was fascinated yet horrified by the fate of some of the volunteer operators who were several ridges away, and still did not escape. I can't imagine being so far away from the mountain, yet still getting killed by the blast.

Apparently a swarm of earthquakes similar to this one happened 3 or 4 years ago. At that time, nothing happened either. I guess the seismologists/vulcanologists have a method to determine what is causing the quakes, i.e., magma (bad) or steam (not so bad).

Edited 19:35 on 26 Sep 04: OOPS! Now the scientists have changed their minds, thinking that an event may be likely.

Empath

Flashaholic

The suspected reason is the large amount of rainfall we've received. It's theorized that the water has created a great deal of steam that is opening small fissures, and creating the minor, but numerous, seismic events. The events are too small to even be felt outside the crater.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

I heard on the news that you'd have to be sitting right on the lava dome in the crater with no other disturbances around you in order to actually *feel* any of these seismic events.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

If it does go off again, I don't think it'll be nearly as dramatic. The first time, the entire side of the mountain slipped away, releasing millions of tons of rock, superheated steam and gas. This time, the pressure will not be as great and things shouldn't be as forceful.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

you're right Photon. i don't think there's enough mountain on the dome to cause the damage done in 1980.

here's a very interesting slide show of Mount St. Helens: http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/MSH/SlideSet/ljt_slideset.html

it seems it's erupted several times since the big one.

here's a teaser from the slideshow:
b4 picture:
46.jpg

after picture:
47.jpg

Lasernerd

Enlightened
The Great Pacific Northwest,home of the Goonies,Sh

****UPDATED****HAZARDOUS EVENT!!!!

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_092604WABsthelensSW.1277ac41.html

USGS
The deep crater of Mount St. Helens.
LONGVIEW, Wash. - Seismologists believe there's an increased likelihood of a "hazardous event" at Mount St. Helens due to recent changes in the mountain's seismic activity.

A notice of volcanic unrest was issued Sunday afternoon by the U.S. Geological Survey and the University of Washington.

Hundreds of tiny earthquakes began late last week and slowly declined through Saturday morning. However, the swarm has since changed to include more than 10 larger earthquakes of magnitude 2 to 2.8.

The quakes were occuring at depths less than one mile below the lava dome formed in the the mountain's crater.

Resources
USGS
It's the greatest number of quakes in a 24-hour period since an eruption on October 1986, which was the last dome-building eruption, in which magma reached the surface and added to the pile of lava on the crater floor.

The USGS warning said several causes of the quakes are possible, but most point toward an increased probability of explosions from the lava dome if the level of current unrest continues or escalates.

Stefan

Enlightened

Lasernerd:
One needs to register to read that story. Possibly cut and paste important sentences?

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast

Howdid I miss this? Last I heard Yellow Stone national park was having some serious problems with flooding, the ground swelling and olde faithful not going off on the hour any more.