Which Aviator A2 Do You have, and Why?

tracker870

Enlightened
HI,
Looking at the Aviators, & need to decide on LED color.
Nope, I'm not a pilot, and only do the occasional star gazing. I'm a camper, hiker, outdoorsman.
I have a flip up red filter for my E2e. Planning on the KL1 white LED head for that.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an A2 white, because of color rendition. If im reading a map with red leds, things in red would be hard to see. I am looking for another A2, just for kicks with green LEDs because it is quite a bit brighter than the white LEDs.

M

MeridianTactical

White... I like to see all colors... I keep it in the car as my "car" light.

Size15's

Flashaholic
I have an A2-HA and an A2-BK.
Although supplied with white LEDs I managed to steal some of the other colours from PK when his back was turned.

I like the Red LEDs but they could be a bit dimmer and more diffuse.

The Blue and Green LEDs are fun but not really very useful for any of my needs for light.

I currently have white LEDs in the A2-HA.

The A2-BK I bought because it is just the coolest!

redcar

Enlightened
I have 3 A2-HA, all white. I too like to read maps with mine, and to see all the colors correctly.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the white. I don't like dedicating a high dollar flashlight to just one color when I can accomplish the same thing by the use of color filters.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I use an A2 with white LEDs, primarily because that was the one I was provided with for my website.
For color rendition, the white LED model is best for you.

AlecGold

Enlightened
a bit to late perhaps, but I have the red leds: it's possible to read a map with it (the red on Dutch cards is more a kind of brown and shows under the red light up as grey/antracite). And red doesn't destroy my night vision. The white incan. light is very usefull for further away. one drawback with a red led is reading a book at night in your tent (who is os utterly mad, to take 5 pounds of reading stuff in his backpack over the mountains, yes, i know. When you stop reading everything is green. For a long, long time. But when you hear something around the tent, you can put out the light and have instant perfect nightvision. which is good.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is very easy to change out the LEDs, it has 3 tiny screws holding it in. The hard part is finding the LED rings to change out.
A2_head.jpg

dude2

Newly Enlightened
I have the blue LEDs, primarily because I too am an outdoorsman and thought the blue would assist with tracking.

I recently gave a A2 with white LEDs as a gift and, after comparing the two, would definitely go with the white for 3 reasons:

1)I find the benefit of white light for colour rendition outweighs any slight gain with tracking.

2)The beam of the blue LEDs looks like a 3 leaf clover and is full of artifacts, the white is smooth.

3) when in high mode you can sometimes see the blue of the LEDs depending on what you are illuminating, this is not a problem with the white LEDs.

My 2 cents is go with the white, I wish I had.

If anyone knows where I can buy the white LEDs please let me know, Surefire apparently does not sell them as accessories.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
dude2 said:
I have the blue LEDs, primarily because I too am an outdoorsman and thought the blue would assist with tracking.

I recently gave a A2 with white LEDs as a gift and, after comparing the two, would definitely go with the white for 3 reasons:

1)I find the benefit of white light for colour rendition outweighs any slight gain with tracking.

2)The beam of the blue LEDs looks like a 3 leaf clover and is full of artifacts, the white is smooth.

3) when in high mode you can sometimes see the blue of the LEDs depending on what you are illuminating, this is not a problem with the white LEDs.

My 2 cents is go with the white, I wish I had.

If anyone knows where I can buy the white LEDs please let me know, Surefire apparently does not sell them as accessories.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto. I bought the blue for precisely the same reason , but now i wish i had purchased the white ones. if anyone can give us a pointer that would be great

Nick