What's the easiest Luxeon mod for a 2 or 3D Mag?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What\'s the easiest Luxeon mod for a 2 or 3D Mag?

The space needle is wayyy to much for my novice hands. Any simple mods?

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s the easiest Luxeon mod for a 2 or 3D Mag?

Other than squeezing more batteries into it and overdriving a bulb, I'd say get a hot lips heat sink, a 3W lux, and some PVC pipe and turn the 2D mag into a 3C. It'll be a screamer than will outperform many lights.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Everled regulated, luxeon drop in.
It just simply goes where the original bulb went.
You can get that in almost any color you want including white.
I got 2 of them from www.ledsupply.com

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast

What kind of output do you get from the everled?

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

The space needle is going to be as easy as any other good luxeon LED mod you can do to a Mag host (since there arent any resistors or electronics needed). I made one out of a 2C Mag and i love it. Its my first and only mod so far. Mr. Bulk's webpage has a nice detailed walkthrough. Hotbeam, who makes the hotlips, will mount a LuxV 5-watt led to it for you if you want. OF course you'll have to buy the LED from him. He's an awesome guy to deal with. Shipping from Australia to Dallas where i am only took about a week.

You can find Mr. Bulk's Space Needle tutorial here

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Anything with electronics? Also, where do I obtain the parts? Thanks. The everled is only a 1 watter. I wanted a 3

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What\'s the easiest Luxeon mod for a 2 or 3D Ma

space needle (2x123 in 2C-2D) or hotlips and lux III (3C-3D) will blow away the ever LED, it's a little mroe involved mod (mostly more time consuming because you have to take the switch out of the mag and solder 2 wires to it, and solder 2 wires to the LED ) but better output by far. The HS keeps the Luxeon cooler than an ever led could also, but the luxeon will be driven by more power (with hotlips) so it will probably heat up more.

Cheapest mod (and probably brightest of the 3)is a 2C with 3x123 and a KPR Bulb from ratshack.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, Can I get details on the KPR bulb? Stock #, etc? Probably still gonna make a Lux mod. Also, what is the Elektrolumens Blaster mod?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh, what size mag should I go for if I do the Space Needle mod? I've heard of people using 2xC mags and it'll still work? Also, how hard with it be to stick a BB in there? (My soldering skills are ok)

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Check out Craig's review of the DIAMOND LED BULB REPLACEMENT. It instals in a couple minutes into a 3D M^G.

3 Watts. I've heard it's pretty impressive -- and dead easy to install. I have an old 3D M^g I keep thinking about droping one of these into.

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well. The 2C Mag i have found to be optimal for the Space Needle. I like the 2C because it's not ultra huge. I did mine about a week and a half ago i think? maybe 2 weeks. IT only took me about an hour or so because i was taking my time and watching TV on the side. It was SO easy. I plan on doing several more and giving them as gifts for christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have descent soldering skills (at best). As far as using a BB, Sure you could do that if you really want power regulation,. I didnt see much of a point to it for a Space NEedle though. Im direct driving mine (no elescronic converters like Badboy or MadMan) with 3x123's and i absolutely love it.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:
Check out Craig's review of the DIAMOND LED BULB REPLACEMENT. It instals in a couple minutes into a 3D M^G.

3 Watts. I've heard it's pretty impressive -- and dead easy to install. I have an old 3D M^g I keep thinking about droping one of these into.

[/ QUOTE ]

The diamond L3 won't last very long. There's very little thermal management - the Tj of the Luxeon is allowed to exceed maximum thermal specs.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
GarageBoy said:
Oh, what size mag should I go for if I do the Space Needle mod? I've heard of people using 2xC mags and it'll still work? Also, how hard with it be to stick a BB in there? (My soldering skills are ok)

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got the hardest part of building an SN2 or equivalent covered already, since you can solder decently well. Believe it or not I wrote the OA4D Cookbook.. as my second mod. I'd never soldered ANYTHING in my life before I started modding lights!

The essential steps in a nutshell are remove the switch with an allen key, use a hacksaw or file to chop off the top of the switch, solder two wires to the positive and negative terminals. Drop the switch back into the housing and screw it into place. You'll have two wires sticking out the front.

Dab some epoxy onto the emitter and smack it onto the Hotlips, let it cure. Centering it is a cinch because of the raised center pedestal. Thread the two wires through the holes in the Hotlips and solder them to the Luxeon emitter. Slot Hotlips into housing.

You then have to saw off part of the reflector, and if you succeeded in sawing the switch (easy enough) you'll find it even easier. That's it, screw everything back together, light up and away you go.

The BB is a little tougher because you have to solder wires from the switch to the BB, then another set from the BB to the emitter, and it's quite a small PCB to work with but it shouldn't be anything you can't handle.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ok, on the blaster, toilet pipe is used for a battery holder. How does this work? I'll pick up a 2C (3x123s WILL fit, right?)

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast

3x123 will fit fine, go by an autop parts store. and pick up about 4 inches of 5/8 inch inner diameter heater hose. Thats the cheapest best adapter you can get, just split the hose down one side, insert batteries, slide into Mag,, PERFECT fit.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks. I'll pick up a 2C mag, a hotlips and a 5W lux later this year. I spent all my money on my XM3. (how come everyone uses a 3C and wont it be too long for the batteries to contact? )

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The correct hotlips is the C, right? Again thanks!

coachbigdog

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Sub_Umbra said:

[/ QUOTE ]

DO NOT BUY THE DIAMOND LIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I bought one in JULY and it took 1 MONTH to get it only to find out it was broke.Well,it's October and after a half dozen personal phone calls,I have yet to get a refund or exchange! You want to take a chance,go ahead.But I'm letting you know now how I've been treated.You've been warned!