Stupid L1 question please

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
hi,

I have a question. I have a few L1s, some are different from the other. I noticed that there are basically 2 different types.

One is bluish tint and somewhat smooth beam.

The other has a greenish tint with a star shaped beam.

What is the difference? They are all L1s and have the same bezel, crenalated.???

Thanks.

Flashlight Enthusiast
The smooth beam blue tint is likely using a low dome luxeon.

The one with the star (or square) shaped beam uses a high dome luxeon. Usually, the high dome luxeon provides better tint (more white).

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
Aha, thx.

They are about the same brightness, just the tint and shape difference. I like the smoother beam of the bluish one.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
History Channel,

If you like smooth beams, just drop a reflector into your L1 that has the star beam. You'll love it.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
HistoryChannel said:
Aha, thx.

They are about the same brightness, just the tint and shape difference. I like the smoother beam of the bluish one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer smooth beams too, but I also HATE bad tints (both my L1s have low domes and terrible tints).

I think the best solution is for Surefire to use high domes AND a textured reflector.

Optics generally sucks for beam quality, and IMO there is no good reason Surefire can't give us a textured reflector if they are going to charge premium prices.