How many D cells is safe for DD on TWOL Lux III?

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to do some mag mods and just had a few questions.
1.How many D cells is safe for DD on TWOL Lux III?
2.What is the mA output of d cells in 1,2,3, and 4 cells repectively?
3.What would be the most mA to put to a Lux III?
Thanks,
Nitroz

Hallis

Flashlight Enthusiast
i think 3 is about the limit. that puts 6 volts to it roughly. from what i recall.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Hallis said:
i think 3 is about the limit. that puts 6 volts to it roughly. from what i recall.

[/ QUOTE ]
Did you mean to say 4=6 volts, 3 would be 4.5 volts. So how many mA would that be? Anybody?

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahem.

3 cells = 4.5V

Anyways, to answer your question:

1) 3
2) 1 - 0. 2 - probably around 80-100mA initially. 3 - probably around 1.5A or more. 4 - 2-2.5A or more (high risk of instantly fusing the bond wires on the luxeon, destroying it)
3) Spec is 1A. You don't get much gains past that. With a good thermal bond and heat sink, you will exceed maximum thermal specifications at 1.6A

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitroz, here is a link to Roy's Runtime Plot of a Mr. Bulk modded Direct Drive Maglite 3D. He used one of Hotbeam's heatsinks and a T-binned Luxeon III. I don't think it was a TWOL. Might have been a T--K.

http://ftp2.itexas.net/Rbost/dd3d.jpg

Just under 8 hours to 50% of maximum brightness and it'll run for over 3 days at 500 Lux. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone! Just want to know when I should use a resistor or not.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
leds are more bothgered by curent then volts . it realy depends on the vf of the led if i recall a twol likes 4.5 volts ok thats what 3 batts will be

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a J voltage bin that was overdriven off 3 x 1.5v alkalines for a good 6 months with no issues. Poped in some 1.2V NIMH and toasted the light in less than a second, no flash, the LED just went from dim to dimmer to barley lighting up...

Be careful with NIMH!

Im going to be ordering BB1000's from now on so I can use either type of batteries in my light without having to solder in or connect a resistor when changing types.

illumiGeek

Enlightened
I've been running K and L bins DD from 3xC cells and they work great (with either Alkaline or NiMh batteries). I have built several 2D/3C modded Mags using TWAK, TWOL and TX1K Lux 3W emitters and Hotlips sinks and they are all running strong even after heavy use.

As stated above, J bins are pushing it for DD; but K and L bins seem to work fine with good heat sinking.

Aloha, iG