ledtronics. any good?

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw a 6 led flashlight on Ebay that was made by Ledtronics. I read the review at the museum, which was good but had a low brightness level, and I was wondering if there is anything else as good or better in the same price range.
rolleyes.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a LEDtronics white FlashLED for about 2 months- got it from Ebay, probably the same seller as the one you saw. It was a nice light, about MiniMag sized with a clean smooth white beam (not too blue) and the push button was OK too, if a little hard to press all the way in. Thing is, despite having 6 LEDs, it wasn`t blinding. Fine for trying to read the print on SMT components at work, and good about the house too, though lacking in power for outdoors. A bit expensive for what I got, I thought, but it seemed quite well made. But.....then I dropped it. Admittedly, it was quite far and on to concrete. And it quit working right- the switch button broke off internally so I couldn`t turn the damn thing off again! I did manage to get it out and glue it back on but it didn`t hold- another smaller drop did it in again. Not to mention the LEDs were now badly out of alignment and there were a couple of dents in the head too
shocked.gif
. At least I never needed to have to hunt down N cells locally
grin.gif
. I did try some 2/3AA NiCds which were OK but it was even dimmer from those and didn`t run too long.

So now it sits in a box (along with some of my other "less inspiring" lights awaiting testing) , devoid of batteries (cos it won`t turn off again) and waiting for me to be bothered to either find a replacement switch for it, or buy another one and then find time to resume testing again. But a nice load of stuff just arrived from Tektite (thanks Scott
smile.gif
) which should keep me busy fo a bit, so in the box it stays.....

There are better lights. I havn`t seen the NB8X but from what I hear, it is many times brighter, maybe 10x? And there`s also its smaller brother which would still overpower the FlashLED by a long way, and should have decent run time.
Or, if you want a more versatile light with variable brightness, the EternaLight range is a good choice and would probably be cheaper too (especially the "Classic" model), even though the flat profile isn`t as compact as the FlashLEDs.

shocked.gif
tongue.gif

busbar

Newly Enlightened
Used the FlashLED 6CW (white) and 6AG (green) -- they are marginal with sometimes flakey pushbutton switches, and needing N cells for full light output. The NightBuster 8X is a couple of bucks cheaper and uses AA cells, but is larger.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. X-out the ledtronics. Who makes the Night Buster?
.......dana.....
smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The FlashLED *underdrives* its LEDs. That's why it isn't eyepopping bright when compared to other lights.

Switch problem (hard to "click"): Feel carefully for the plastic tit that sticks up under the rubber; you will no doubt notice it is off-center. Turning the rubber switchguard to center this rod directly under the rubber dome will correct this.

Switch problem (intermittent): This may not in fact be a switch problem at all. Try opening the head and re-seating the LED board in its socket. A dab of silicone RTV on the bottom of the board can help make it stay put.
You can also take the time to realign the LEDs while you have it apart.

Screw together carefully; noting when the clear bezel begins to touch the tips of the LEDs - then quit turning.
If it is still in a state of freewheel at this particular point, unscrew it, then put a drop of locktite or a dab of silicone RTV on the threads, and reassemble as above. Set aside for a day, and it should be good as new.

$0.02

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any thoughts on the LED replacement bulbs that LEDTronics offers? I'm looking at the 'direct incandescent replacement' for the clip-on book light, for example (T3-1/4 (9mm) screw base). And the various others - that would replace night light bulbs, 12v dome light and reading light etc.