LED IR Thermometer

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Glad to see the CPF board is back up! I posted this on the Light-it-Up board a few days ago, but wanted to let others know about it so here it is again!:

I just got a Radio Shack IR Thermometer 22-325 (on sale for $39.99 not $29.99)! What a cool gadget and way to use an IR LED!

I couldn't believe some of the inefficiencies in my A/C system in my house! My crapper vent in the bathroom let's in about 10 degrees more heat than the room temp!

Heck my 15" LCD monitor runs at 97.5-98 degrees!

The tip (.25" from the led) of my AAA Arc runs at 90 degrees after being left on for about 1 minute!

Only draw back is it only reads to 400 degrees and then you get --- (3 dashes) I tested it on our oven and on my mower muffler.

It does state in the instructions "not for human temperature" or something along those lines.

Just another toy!

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got back from Radio Shack, they said it was $39.99 on sale...
frown.gif

This was for item # 22-325 I let Radio Shack keep it.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

My bad! Went back and looked in the checkbook and I did pay $39.99! Sorry for the trip you made. Still a fun gadget though!
blush.gif

Harrkev

Enlightened
Does this thing have an LED???

Usually such thermometers have a "pyro" sensor that directly measures the IR "blackbody" radiation emitted by an object. These sensors are very similar to the ones used by motion-sensing lights. I have seen some that use a red laser as an aiming device.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harrkev:
Does this thing have an LED???

Usually such thermometers have a "pyro" sensor that directly measures the IR "blackbody" radiation emitted by an object. These sensors are very similar to the ones used by motion-sensing lights. I have seen some that use a red laser as an aiming device.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It looks like it has an LED that's kind of "cloudy pink" in color..

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I have an IR thermometer, one with the lazer dot, and I don't trust it for measuring the temperature of metal that is reflective. One LS fixture I made was giving me a IR temp reading of around 86 F. but the thing felt warmer than that. I also have a thermacouple sensor that plugs into a Fluke digital multi meter. After wrapping the thermacouple wire around the fixture and bending the wire so that the "bulb" sensor was in contact with the fixture, I got a reading of 112 F.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you Mr. Gransee on the clarification!

You have to hand it to the lay person like me though that it did look like an LED!
tongue.gif

Thanks for the link and info,