Where to buy Philips H4 in US

Wildtrky

Newly Enlightened
Where is the best place to buy Philips H4 12v 100/90w bulbs in the US? Want to get a spare for my Thor.

Wildtrky

Newly Enlightened
If we cannot buy the replacement bulbs in the US, I think I'll go back to Costco tonight and buy a couple more Thor's for the parts (extra bulb's, batteries etc.) since they are only $25.

iddibhai

Enlightened
www.danielsternlighting.com

lazer, anything over 55/65 for automotive H4 use is illegal for street use and besides, unless you've upgraded the wiring AND relays, there ain't much juice flowing thru stock wiring to make a big difference w/ said over-spec lamps. plus there is the heat issue in most plastic-housing DOT lamps...

also, you can order from UK websites that ship to USA, fyi.

lasercrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
iddibhai said:
www.danielsternlighting.com

lazer, anything over 55/65 for automotive H4 use is illegal for street use and besides, unless you've upgraded the wiring AND relays, there ain't much juice flowing thru stock wiring to make a big difference w/ said over-spec lamps.

also, you can order from UK websites that ship to USA, fyi.

[/ QUOTE ]

I meant for replacing the thors bulb. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Wildtrky

Newly Enlightened
Wow! $19 ea at danielsternlighting. I think I'll just buy two more Thor's ($25 ea.) at Costco for the parts. But thanks for the reply iddibhai.

iddibhai

Enlightened
Philips are harder to find here, and JCW doesnt stock those. if you will go to the boosted thor thread, you will see jarhead has tried various offbrand (anything other than GE/Stanley/Philips/Osram/Sylvani/Hella) and came to the consensus that the OEM lamp which is a phillips, is far better than anything you can find aftermarket. i'd take him at his word given his expertise and knowledge in testing said lamps, pls i have more faith in the OEM makers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

but yea, just get a thro for the lamp, at that low a price!

Wildtrky

Newly Enlightened
Just got back from Costco - bought 4 more (will make nice Christmas gifts). I'll just keep one for parts and keep the battery in trickle charger for backup.

Heath

Newly Enlightened
The stock bulb in the Thor is a Philips 12569 100/90W lamp. It's difficult to wade through all of philips marketing material, but this bulb is simply known as a rally bulb. There's a "visionplus" rally bulb that isn't this one, and I suspect it's not as bright as I believe it's a 65/55W bulb. There's also a Phillips 130/100W bulb type 12459. It puts out 3600 lumens relative to the 100/90W bulb that puts out 2900 lumens. I can't seem to find this bulb anywhere in the US. One wonders how it would fare with newbie's 16v regulation mod.

iddibhai

Enlightened
actually newbie did try the 130/100 vs 100/90 and was not impressed, and might actually be testing them right now to verify or dispel the output claims.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried the 130/100 I was not impressed
It was not much brighter and the spot of light was not as focoused
sorry I can not spell right now

Heath

Newly Enlightened
I believe the bulbs that newbie tested weren't the Philips 130/100 but some other off-brand. Hopefully he'll chime in on that. Also, I suspect that when markdi did try the Philips 130/100 bulb that the voltage drop was so great that the results were unimpressive. A regulator circuit would solve the problem.

markdi

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine was not the phillips bulb
it was a bulb I paid 4 bucks for at a car parts store
I need to put bigger wiring in my thor
and put the original bulb back in it

iddibhai

Enlightened
markdi, newbie DID test the Philips rally lamps since i bought them and sent them to him for evaluation. he also tried the offbrand lamps. his conclusion was that the 130/100 philips were prone to blow when overdriven, and even at stock drive they were not putting out significantly more light. he has, i believe, received more lamps from the distributer to validate or dispute philips' claims.

Heath

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
iddibhai said:...i bought them and sent them to him for evaluation

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you find the 130/100 Philips bulb? I've looked all over and haven't been able to find it for sale anywhere.