What is the best value 3-watt LED?

Brooks

Newly Enlightened
I have a Nitestar 3 watt and have been pleased with it except for the battery life. I want to buy another 3-watt light, but cannot decide which one. I like the Q-III since it only uses 1 battery, plus its small size. I like the Nitestar for its cheaper cost. I like the Gerber LX 3.0 since it can use cheap rechargeable NiMH batteries.

What makes a more expensive light such as the Streamlight 2L worth more $. Is the light output that much better? Is there more usable battery life?

I wish I could buy them all.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Are these really 3Watts? or are they Luxeon III (1Watt that allow higher currents)? I keep getting confused.

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
greenLED said:
Are these really 3Watts? or are they Luxeon III (1Watt that allow higher currents)? I keep getting confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just realized something...

PocketBeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Luxeon doesn't make 3 watt, only Luxeon IIIs. It drives me nuts when manufactures call them 3 watt lights. Then you get the specs and find out it is less. If it is driven at 700mA then it has to be on a 4.3 volt power supply to be 3 watt. Now look at the different bin codes. Now you do the math.

Now to answer your title question, I would suggest the XM-3 from Electrolumens. Wayne just got the lights in and it can use two nimh AAs. Still availible for $40.

As for cost, well that is affected by materials, bin codes, number of units built, advertising, etc. So, no answer here, look for reviews.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Q-III is awesome - ask anyone who has one. For a small light, it's got everything you want - great form factor, very bright, very acceptable throw for its size, and really good price ($40 including tax, shipping, and handling). So far I have bought 11 of these for myself, presents for relatives, and sale to friends. I felt lucky to hold on the the one I bought for myself.

If you couldn't tell, I like this light. I don't see how you could go wrong purchasing one.

Brooks

Newly Enlightened
Could not resist the XM-3 thanks for the tip. Where are the Q-III's available for $40 shipped? For that price I will order one of those too. Thanks.

gorlank

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JimH said:
The Q-III is awesome - ask anyone who has one. For a small light, it's got everything you want - great form factor, very bright, very acceptable throw for its size, and really good price ($40 including tax, shipping, and handling). So far I have bought 11 of these for myself, presents for relatives, and sale to friends. I felt lucky to hold on the the one I bought for myself.

If you couldn't tell, I like this light. I don't see how you could go wrong purchasing one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am happy to hear your recommendations of the Nuwai. I have two on the way and I was wondering if I shouldn't have gone for the Longbow Micra. The price is great considering the price of other Luxeon III's. I plan to keep one and give the other to my brother for xmas. My only other led's are and Inova X5T, and the Opalec and Inretech mods for my Minimags along with miscellaneous Arc AAA's and CMG Ultra G. I am ready for some whiter light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif