Apartment door locks?

Flatscan

Enlightened
I'm moving into a new apartment, and I have the "option" of having my own deadbolt installed to supplement the existing lock. The stock lock is a pretty standard spring-latch plus deadbolt; the support hardware (faceplate and knob) seem pretty old/used. My key says Medeco. I need to select a deadbolt and have a locksmith install it.

Being NYC (Queens, actually), the frame is metal, and I believe the door is also metal, to conform with fire codes. I'm not positive that the door is metal (forgot to check specifically), but it's something pretty sturdy. I think the system as is will stand up pretty nicely to brute force. Security at the front is not spectacular, but someone carrying a sledge or a large clanking duffel is pretty likely to be noticed.

My #1 concern right now is someone picking the stock lock, followed by an "inside job" with the keys from the manager's office. I hope to stay in this apartment 1-3 years, so I'm willing to make a reasonable investment. My apartment is in a high-traffic area of the floor, near the elevators, so it doesn't have to be superiorly pick-proof. Does anyone have recommendations for a moderately-priced, adequately pick-proof lock?

Are there any suggestions for dealing with a locksmith? There are some add-ons (cylinder guard, inside band) suggested in Safe in the City that I would like to add, and I don't really know how to go about requesting them.

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the lock is Medeco, it probably can't be picked. Only certain locksmiths can install them and they are usually very strong.

Why not have a locksmith "re-key" your Medeco. You can take it off, bring it to a locksmith and reinstall it yourself afterwards. If you want to add other safeguards, that would probably be a wise thing to do.

If the door is steel, it's best to leave the installation of new locks to a well equipped pro.

Marty

Flatscan

Enlightened
Thanks for the reply, Marty. It's my understanding that the building re-keys the stock lock after each tenant, and that I'm not allowed to change it (without a fuss, anyway). I took a quick look at my neighbors' doors, and each had the second lock installed.

I had assumed that the uneven cut surfaces were a result of sloppy cutting, not a function of design. A quick Google for Medeco reveals that one of their features is this angled surface, which can be duplicated with care on a standard cutting machine (circa 1989). It's a neat feature that makes them much more difficult to pick (but not impossible). Their key control systems (credit-card-like verification and signature) seem pretty good also.

One of the locksmiths nearby is a Medeco dealer, so I'll go visit them this weekend. The best residential Medeco deadbolt seems to retail for around $150, which is perfectly fine, but the installation costs could be a bit more.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The Medeco is widely held to be one of the better locks for pick resistance. you should have a second lock, a dead bolt, simply because of the increased resistance to a brute force attack. If you key it differently from the lock in the door knob, it will protect you from the building handyman (or his teenaged son) making unrequested visits.

The medeco key control is pretty good, but those keys can be duplicated by many different machines. A determined amateur with a file and a good eye can eventually make one, given enough time.

Having a good locksmith install your deadbolt can bring the advantage of an on site security review. Sometimes the door jamb is weaker than it appears, sometimes it's the hinges. Sometimes (especially in apartment buildings) the latch is incorrectly installed, allowing several different ways to compromise it. Sometimes steel doors are not properly reinforced where the lock goes through. A locksmith should detect and correct all of this.

Good luck. Let us know what the locksmith recommends.

Daniel

Frangible

Enlightened
The Medeco is a very secure lock. But picking locks is a skill even few thieves have. Only ~6% of B&E is done by lockpicking. Most are of course, things left unlocked, followed by brute force.

I don't think your Medeco lock is going to be much of a risk, but look at the door overall and any windows and consider how they would stand up to brute force.

Joel

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Frangible that the Medeco is a very secure lock. I can pick most locks in under a minute but I can't pick a Medeco. Not only does the Medeco have twice as many pins but they're at weird angles and picking tools don't allow for that. Just make sure the door jamb is solid and access to other means of entry are secure.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Keep in mind also that any lock will yield to a determined attacker with the proper tools and knowledge. It's scary how quickly they can be bypassed. I believe that it takes 10 - 15 minutes or so to get past a Medeco. The lock is useless afterwards, but that's not a concern for a thief.

If you are concerned with security, good locks to slow them down should be supplemented by a security alarm of some sort to let you know of the danger.

Daniel

HesNot

Enlightened
Good advice all around. Installing a deadbolt will certainly increase your security and the Medeco locks are as good as any. I completely agree with getting a professional in to do the installation and requesting a review of the frame, etc... After all, the door, lock and frame are all a system and if any fails you're out of luck.

My cynical response of course is that nothing beats a Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge for home security but that might not be the best suggestion for NYC...

Absolutely do not overlook other points of entry. I've had my apartment broken into and have had several friends who've had theirs broken in to and NONE of the thieves came in through the front door - all through windows and sliding glass doors. There are lots of techniques for windows and sliding glass doors from the very inexpensive (dowels in the tracks) to more elaborate keyed locks. The point is to make them have to break it to get in and short of bars there's not much you can do if someone is willing to break glass. Also don't over look lighting although in an apartment there may not be much you can do individually about that.

Lastly - I have heard from more than one reliable source that the best security device remains a large dog. While a real pro can still overcome a large dog the trouble and effort is generally not worth it unless you've got a really desirable stash that the thieves know about. Even a small but vocal dog will deter most amateurs as long as they're making a lot of noise.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
As said, a lot of good advice. I can't pick my Medeco deadbolt, but the crappy lock under it, opens in half a minute. Your location should be an asset. While you may get more people tromping past your door day and nite, that will discourage a lot of thieves. That and the Medeco.

Of course, any lock can be breached, and the thief won't be standing around trying to pick your Medeco. He'll be drilling the lock or the door, or trying to dislodge the frame. Again, your location on the floor should discourage that too.

I have a Medeco Body Guard plate over my lock to dissuade drilling, wrenching and prying. It's a steel plate that shields most of the exposed cylinder. That's an easy add-on when you get your lock installed.

All these are small steps, but like the Club for your steering wheel, you hope it makes you a little less attractive, and the potential thief will mosey along down the street away from ya.

daloosh

Flatscan

Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I think the on-site review will be invaluable, in case my assessment of the door and frame is incorrect.

I think I should add more info, as the comments seem to be aimed at a worse situation than I am in. I'm not worried about my safety in this building, but I am cautious and would like to protect my possessions.

The apartment complex is nice and reasonably secure, with 24-hour doormen and cameras at the entrances and in the elevators. I think the building security is enough to dissuade most outside burglars, and I don't have enough net worth to attract a pro. My major complaint is that it seems that anyone can walk in as they please. I took some things over the other night 8ish, carrying a pretty stuffed duffel bag, and was not given a second look. This is my first week moving in, and the staff definitely doesn't know me.

The likelihood of a burglary happening is pretty low, I think. I just want to be both safe and not sorry. The reason I mentioned picking is that I'm most worried about a soft/finesse burglary, where I don't realize that something's missing for a while. The use of an actual key is my other main concern.

We're required to provide a key to be stored in the management office to be used in "emergencies". In case of a lock-out, the doorman is notified and brings the key and a signature card from the (locked) management office. I believe the key is checked back in as well. I think the extra difficulty in copying the Medeco will be a good bonus.

Maybe a basic alarm system in addition to the deadbolt is what I want. It will note unauthorized entrances, but will not restrict critical repairs (e.g. a flooding condition) that might need to be done without my presence. I wonder if one of those travel hang-on-door alarms will do what I need.

I don't think windows are very likely, but I could be wrong. I'm on a high floor, with no balconies or breezeways adjacent. Someone would have to rappel down from above. I could go with a double-key deadbolt, but the hassle and danger in a fire situation doesn't seem worth it.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
The simple hang-on-door alarms is better than nothing, but just slightly. A thief would look for it and turn if off / destroy it pretty fast. It takes a few seconds (or minutes in my case) to wake up from a a dead sleep.

There are inexpensive keyed alarms available. Some even use a radio transmitter similar to your car remote to make the use easier.

Daniel

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since it seems you're more interested in notification of entry, you could just hook up a phone dialer, which can call your pager or cell phone to alert you of any entries occurring in your absence, without causing a nuisance in case it's a valid entry. All you'd need is a simple mag relay for switch closure to trigger the dialer. I've got one connected to my alarm to dial my pager, with additional inputs for a water sensor and temperature sensor, which provides peace of mind when you're away-

Flatscan

Enlightened
The locksmith came this Saturday. I got a Medeco BodyGuard (big, thick steel plate), Medeco cylinder, and a Max-something or other deadlock. All this and labor for significantly more than any single flashlight I have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Not sure why I was quoted a lot less, but it's a one-time expense that's worth it.

For intrusions occurring while I am at home, I'm going to get one of those purpose-built door braces to put under the knob. They're pretty cheap and reasonably effective at slowing down an entry.

I'm getting Internet, but no phone service, so I'm looking into webcam software for monitoring in my absence. Most of them do change-triggered notifications, like emailing/uploading pictures, and they're mostly full-featured trials, so I can play until I find one that I like. I can set it up to email my cell phone and upload the image to a server.

Frangible

Enlightened
For intrusions when you're at home, consider the 12 gauge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Btw, can I ask how much it cost? I got really cheap/easy to pick QwikSet locks with my house, and was debating getting a Medeco replacement. Feel free to PM me if you'd like. Thanks.

Flatscan

Enlightened
The whole shebang was a little over $300 after tax. As I said, more than any single light I have (though the VIP with all the accessories might come close). When I have some time, I'll go price all the lock pieces online for fun. I don't know whether the same cylinders are compatible with both deadlocks and deadbolts. The deadlock sits on the inside of the door and locks into an attachment on the frame, whereas the deadbolt slides into a sleeve in the frame. I don't know how to describe it further, but anyone who has a deadlock should be able to figure out the difference.

I could have gotten a MultiLock cylinder for $10 less, but at that price point, I wasn't too concerned. The stricter Medeco key control seemed worth it; the locksmith said that the Multi could be copied at any locksmith with the ID card, whereas the Medeco could only be copied at the location of original sale.

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
Good job, that's the same setup I got when I moved into my first apt. I went with the recommendation of the pros, hardware stores and locksmiths. since my friend works at a hardware store, I bought it from his supplier at cost.
Don't fall for the multi lock razzle dazzle.
oh, when I moved into my second apt, I just bought a medeco cylinder to replace the one in an old segal deadbolt.

Flatscan

Enlightened
Now that I'm completely moved out of my old place, and not reading/posting to CPF via open WiFi, I can complain about it a little. Thank goodness that it was pretty temporary.

It's a house, organized into 3 apartments, 1 for each floor. The half-basement level has their own entrance and access to the garage. There's one main entrance for the 1st and 2nd floor (I lived here), with a mail slot. There's a small vestibule, and 2 individual doors. The basement dwellers have access to the vestibule because they need to be able to get their mail. However, they don't particularly care if the door latches properly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

A funny note is that I looked at the deadbolt on the front door during the week or so that I was moving out. It's a Medeco. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm guessing that it hasn't been used in years.