Luxeon Headlamp

Catseye

Newly Enlightened
Is anyone making or going to make a functional LS type headlamp?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's no LS headlamp on the way that I know of. I'm sure there will be, though, since it's such an obvious way to use a Luxeon. I would be stunned if, say, Princeton Tec wasn't working on one, but they aren't saying anything. We'll just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, you could put one in a Walmart type headlamp. The Rayovac "kids" headlamp is good, and there's a 3 AAA headlamp that they sell for around $18 that will take one (with resistor), and also has 3 LEDs and dual switch.

I'm currently working on putting one in a 3 AAA headlamp I got from ****'s Sporting Goods for $25, which I think is a little better quality. In fact, I'm charging NiMHs as we speak for some current draw and heat generation tests. It also has 3 modes: 1 red LED, 2 white LEDs, and the main lamp. I find these multiple colors and brightness levels to be VERY useful.

Catseye

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Lux for your input

I have several headlamps. They always look good on the showroom floor but in real world situations they are a letdown. Example: PT Switchbak maybe the most expensive letdown of them all it just doesn't do what it advertises. Maybe if PT would put a luxeon in this headlamp. Now there's a useful light with good runtime.

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
Lux
I'd be interested in your results too. Everybody is into handheld lights and ignoring the headlamps. I'll be modifying a Petzl Zoom with a LS. Also waiting for my Newbeam module and will be fitting it into a Princeton Tec Matrix halogen bulb module. Have you by any chance done or seen a comparison between the brightness levels of the Newbeam module and a Matrix LED module?

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi NamTinker,

I agree with you about headlamps. In fact, I consider a headlamp to be my main form of light.

I don't have the newbeam module, but I've heard it's much brighter than the Matrix module, since the Matrix is underdriven.

I'm curious about your mod. Are you talking about putting the Newbeam in a PT Solo or Quest headlamp? If so, are you going to attach the Newbeam module to a PR bulb base so that you can still swap the bulb for a halogen?

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
Hi
I have a PT Matrix with the LED module and the halogen bulb module. The halogen bulb module is probably the most useless thing I've ever seen - my Krill gives more light! But it comes apart easily. The Newbeam, if I compared the Maglite size, will fit in easily. It's just a question of getting the connections between the Newbeam and the base of the module correct. The watertight integrity would also remain intact. But I'll see. If I can get 3x the PTM brigtness from the mod, it will make the PT quite usable again. I'll keep the original module for those long camping/tent trips! In our racing circles, headlamps are the primary forms of lighting - duration, light quality and strength are prime factors. There is a big gap in development. We need lamps that can preferably go 10 hours without a battery change. I used a LS mod in a recent 500km race and was impressed - this with the LS only being driven at 280mA and lasting about 5 hours. Problem though, it was handheld and it's a bit difficult to ascend or traverse with a torch in your mouth! Hopefully some commercial ventures will market an optimised "one night" LS light.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frankly, my $22 - total "rayovac adventure ($7) + Luxeon ($15)" pretty much kicks the crap outta anything I've seen yet.

If ya can't find it, build it. you won't be sorry -cause headlamps are a "lacking field".

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
Have seen the mods but since we don't have either readily available over here, I have to stick to what we have, can obtain, and what most of the other guys have. Nobody is going to import/buy another light when they can mod an existing one. The "rayovac" type clones sold cheaply over here is simply put: crap. A LS mod is useless if the light breaks apart at the first fall. Not many lights survive a season of heavy duty racing.

NamTinker

Newly Enlightened
DonL
I agree with you there. I suppose some of big manufacturers are busy with some designs but in my experience they tend to be very conservative (and slow!). CPF is the place to keep your eyes on! Receiving a batch of LS's this week, some other stuff end of the month. Will post some pics of conversions then.

DonL

Enlightened
Everything I thought I was going to say has already been said.
tongue.gif

I think there'd be a pretty darn strong market for LS headlamps, especially for some of the "big names".

Then again, with the astounding ingenuity that people here have shown, I'll hang around and pick up a conversion kit or already-c0nverted light within the next few months.
smile.gif

jbechto

Newly Enlightened
I agree with the members who say make it yourself. I do a mod with the 4 AA NightBlaster from WallyWorld. I put in a white Luxeon with optics running at about 250 ma on fresh alkalines. It requires drilling out the reflector and removing some of the material under it as well, but it is a very nice headlamp with a decent runtime. I actually epoxy a PR base to the heatsink to make for a cleaner installation.

Unfortunately, only the serious Flashaholic will give me the $40 I get for them. A couple of the CPF members have them.

I haven't tried them on eBay, but now that the Luxeon is getting better known, and the Chinese are flooding the other niches, I probably will soon.

John

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I missed a chance to pick up a luxeon star headlight mod on E-bay about a month or two ago. I regret it now. Hate to admit this, but my Petzl Tikka is the most USED light in my arsenal. I would love a nice general use headlamp with a LS, for camping, biking, etc., but I lack the skills/knowledge to modify my own. Anybody make one that they would be willing to part with?

Bushman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Virgo, email me and we will talk, I may be able to help you out! you see, I have thought about building another...

dilettante

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about modding my Petzl Zoom with an LS. I already have the Zoom so I figure why drop anything on a new headlamp. Someone here is working on a regulated and possibly pulsed LS in a Petzl Zoom--they want to get 10 hours out of it (just do a search for "Petzl"). That would be pretty slick, but it might be too much for my first mod. I'd like to see how much burn time I could get from an LS with the 4.5 volt block battery and from 3 Lithium AAs first.

Seems like someone (SureFire?) could make a really small single LS headlamp by making a combined battery box/heatsink out of aluminum (Type III HA please). Sort of a Mini-Actionlight. If you used 3 AAAs or one or two regulated 123s it wouldn't be that much larger than a Tikka.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by dilettante:
...Seems like someone (SureFire?) could make a really small single LS headlamp by making a combined battery box/heatsink out of aluminum (Type III HA please). Sort of a Mini-Actionlight. If you used 3 AAAs or one or two regulated 123s it wouldn't be that much larger than a Tikka.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've been thinking about this for the last couple weeks. Something the shape of a 3/4" or 1/2" plumbing pipe tee could accomodate 3AAA or 1 123, respectively. I've even searched the web for aluminum tees, and they do exist, but I've been reluctant to pursue it because of the threading, o-rings, etc. that need to be made.

jbechto

Newly Enlightened
Namtinker...

As mentioned many times in the forum, running time is a judgement call.

I run the Luxeon at 250 ma. I like to use it for 8 hours or so before I change the batteries. But I like it bright. Once it significantly dims, I ditch the batteries and put in new ones. I'm sure one of the big manufacturers would give it a 30 or 40 hour runtime...but we all know that's Bull!

Don't ask me to quantify "significantly" It's a judgement call and a personal preference!

John