2-3 CR123 cell with click switch

Allan_Yates

Newly Enlightened
I had been planning on purchasing some Pelican M6s as my first CR123 flashlights (thanks for the responses to my previous question concerning holsters). However, I recently injured my hand and, while it will recover, currently it is very difficult to use the twist switches. I have to grip the flashlight under my arm or between my knees and turn with my good hand. I have a Pelican SuperSabreLight with a twist switch.

So that got me thinking that some type of pushbutton switch would be preferable in the event of injury (also easier to explain when lending the flashlight to someone).

I have found information on the mod kit for the Pelican M6 to make it a click switch.

I was wondering what other flash lights (either a 2 or 3 cell CR123 with incandescent bulb) have a click switch, either on the tail piece or the body? I have looked at a number of the high end manufacturers and this type of switch seems to be very uncommon.

Thanks,

Allan.

jbev

Newly Enlightened
I think the Maxfire has replaced the LX. The head is a lot smaller and easier to deal with. Some people have likened it to Surefire's G2. There are a bunch of threads on it if you do a search.

Allan_Yates

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. I wasn't aware of the Z48/49 click switch from Surefire. That opens up a lot of possibilities.

Allan.

Flashdark

Enlightened
allan_yates

I don't advise the Z-48/Z-49 from Surefire. Instead, I would recommend the Z-58/Z-59. The 48/49 series has an inhibiting rubber shroud around the tailcap to prevent accidental activation and is a real pain in the *** if ease-of-operation and utility are your goals. The 58/59 series (58 is HA III and 59 is black) has an exposed tailcap just like the Z-57 clickie for the "E" series. Very smooth and easy to use. I have a Z-48 that I will NEVER use.

Hope this helps.

riscfaktor

Newly Enlightened
On the advice of my favorite Surefire dealer, I opted for the Z-48 over the Z58 for my M3, and I'm completely happy with it. I have no problem opertaing the switch, either tactically held
or otherwise. The Z-48 also has the added advantage of standing the light on its tailcap.

Flashdark

Enlightened
riscfaktor,

Personal preference, I guess. I was so use to the ease of operation of the exposed tailcap, that I found the shrouded version unacceptably awkward. I still hang onto it though as a spare for the Z-58. You are absolutely right about the candle-mode however, but as one CPFer put it so hilariously, "If I want it as a candle, I'll drop it in a glass".

Freedom1955

Enlightened
I know it's hard to believe but the Brinkman Maxfire for $20.00 is one heck of a 2X 123 flashlight. It's as bright as any other you will find IMHO. I'm not sure about bulb life or the availability there of.

cy

Flashaholic
Streamlight Jr @ $30 is an excellent 2x AA luxeon buy. has the new improved kroll switch.

streamlight  jr.JPG

riscfaktor

Newly Enlightened
I just received an Vital Gear FB-1 to take the place of the E1E body in my TW-4. This thing is amazing. Shorter than the E1E body, excellent fit and finish, and the micro-switch they use in the tailcap is excellent. The switch activates with much less pressure than my other SF clickies, and as an added benefit, its almost totally silent. It also has the crennelated tailcap reminiscent of the E2D which allows tailcap standing, and while partially shrouded, does not inhibit its ease of use.

I can't speak for the 2 and 3 cell versions of this as I do not have them (yet), but I'm sure the quality would be comparable. All that for little more than the price of a SF clicke alone.