How good is the CMG Infinity ULTRA?

Al

Enlightened
In addition to the above thread ...
Just rec'd Ultra from Brightguy (the usual top notch service).

Seems on a par with my ARC LE ... beam is a little wider because the Ultra's reflector is a little wider.
Looks like a Nichia S-rank is used also ... color matches my ARC LE, wheras my regular Infinity is quite blue in comparison. LED is mounted annoyingly off-center ... took the risk & partially repositioned it with a small screwdriver and then added the required piece of foam to eliminate battery rattle.
Head has shiny, bright copper/brass colored battery contact ... no "black dot"

franken2

Newly Enlightened
just scraped the black spot off of my original infinity, wow! what a difference. can't wait to compare it to the ultra i may receive tomorrow.

SidewindR

Newly Enlightened
hi,
the standard
:
infinity light i got
wasn't very bright
in fact was just barely
1/4 as bright as a keychain light
this after replacing batteries over and over
new alkalines.. same thing, even tested them
definatly not recomending this light
so 2x the brightness would make that much of a difference
??

PocketLights.com

Newly Enlightened
Here is a comparison of brightness between the standard Infinity (on the left) and the Infinity Ultra (on the right).

ultra_comp1.jpg

ultra_comp2.jpg

franken2

Newly Enlightened
thank you, I assume these are both stock versions driven on alkaline batts? looks to be about 4-6 inches from the white wall test target. that ultra looks like a winner from cmg!

Al

Enlightened
Originally posted by SidewindR:
hi,
the standard
:
infinity light i got
wasn't very bright
in fact was just barely
1/4 as bright as a keychain light
this after replacing batteries over and over
new alkalines.. same thing, even tested them
definatly not recomending this light
so 2x the brightness would make that much of a difference
??
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Original Infinity was (is) designed for use in a dark environment i.e., woods hiking, camping, tenting, etc., where frequent battery replacement would be considered undesireable (hence - dim, long run time).

Ultra is akin in light output to the ARC LE which is favored by many as the ideal pocket light because of its' diminutive size and relative brightness. Ultra, although larger than the ARC, has a much longer run time (mfg. says 25 hrs).

franken2

Newly Enlightened
21.50 plus 4.91 ups ground from brightguy (ohio) to phila. pa. they claim to charge actual shipping charges via ups.

Tater Rocket

Enlightened
Ahh, but brightguy doesn't have the ultraG, just the ultra. Roy, I assume you are government so you got a discount? Or is there some other way you got the Government model for only $19? So is it $6 shipping from countrycomm? Thanks for your time.

Spud

Oh, also, does the ultraG have the clip that the normal ultra does?

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far I haven't even heard any definitive statement that it is even partially regulated.

I keep hoping some one who has one already will do a brightness/runtime test to see if it is regulated because I don't think I want to bother to buy one if it isn't.

Pat

rodmeister

Enlightened
I'm an ARC AAA fan but I plan to purchase a pair of CMG's for one reason: commonality of batteries. AA's are still the universal battery, available in any store. And though AAA's are up and coming, a lot more AA batteries are around my house, in my clocks, thermostat, radios, answering machines, etc. This could be an important factor in an emergency.

sotyakr

Enlightened
Tater Rocket,
The Ultra-G from Countycomm should run you $30 shipped ($24 + $6 UPS shipping). CA residents can add $1.98 for sales tax.

Unfortunately, the Ultra-G ships with neither the pocket clip or lanyard.

Empath

Flashaholic
Originally posted by darell:
Has anybody been able to conclusively prove that these things are fully regulated as the rumors say?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">In another thread on the subject:
Originally posted by Empath:
I compared a half run down AA alkaline to a fresh L91 Energizer Lithium AA in the Ultra-G. To the naked eye, I was unable to discern a difference.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's not conclusive, but it is a strong indication of at least partial regualtion.

Craig720

Enlightened
Originally posted by rodmeister:
I'm an ARC AAA fan but I plan to purchase a pair of CMG's for one reason: commonality of batteries. AA's are still the universal battery, available in any store.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree completely. You can find AA's and even AAA's everywhere. Not so with Lithium batteries. For me, the type of battery an LED takes is the showstopper. The only exception has been the Photon II. Those I buy without reservation.

Craig720

Enlightened
Originally posted by Al:
Ultra is akin in light output to the ARC LE which is favored by many as the ideal pocket light because of its' diminutive size and relative brightness. Ultra, although larger than the ARC, has a much longer run time (mfg. says 25 hrs).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">How long will the Arc LE run?