My parents are asking e what I want for Christmas

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast
What fo I say? I want a flashlight, I know that. It is going to be a SUREFIRE. They are my favorite, and I like the company. I just dont know which one. I have a list:

- e1e + kl1
-e2e
-e2d
-e2o
-l1
-l2
-A2
-l4

I just dont know which one. Can anyone give me advice?

-tom

Photonian

Newly Enlightened
Hi Cornkid,

The quintessential Surefire is the E2e. In my experience, people who own just one Surefire own the E2e--and for good reason, it's close to perfection. Of those I know who own two Surefires, one is the E2e and the other is the first Surefire they purchased. Seems like once you get any Surefire, you'll end up getting an E2e anyway.

My second choice would be the C3.

Good luck!

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: My parents are asking e what I want for Christ

What are you going to use the light for? This might help you decide.

AuroraLite

Enlightened

Hi, Tom.

I second to what GreenLed has said--which one will depend on use.

Just wanna throw out my 2 cents if I were in your shoes:

If it is an EDC, think about the

1) form factor, ought to be small/short/light weight for easy carry.

2) running cost(batt life, lamp assembly), Depending how often you use your light, constant usage may require more frequent change of battery and lamp assembly for an Incan light.

3) finishing, Type III Hard Anodized will probably reduce the chances of the flashlight body from being scratched in a long run.(I think most of the SF Aluminum body are in HA III, or have the option to be in HA III)

4) purpose of use, where do/will you go/hang out most of the time? If it is an EDC light, that's the area the light will be used for. Think of flood vs. Spot light.

5) Future purchases, what you get now may affect what you get later--say you buy an E2E, then later you could have the option to put a KL1 or KL4 on it, or E2C to use the P61 lamp assembly.

Good luck with your search, and I am sure you will enjoy it immensely!

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Since I don't know the purpose you will put this lite to, I will assume it's for general use not specific to any job or one task.

Hell, even if it was more specific, I think the E2e is the best place to start. Some start with the G2, which is a more affordable Surefire, but, looking at your list, you are ready to plunge in.

The E2e is small, brite and flexible. You can add the KL1 or KL4 later as AuroraLite sez, or an E1e body, or the MN02 lamp for longer runtime, or one of Doug's extenders or his E2C.

So, that takes care of half your list -- you can get an E1e or KL1 later; the E2D, well that's a style choice for you, I'm against it cuz it'll be easier to mix and match HA natural rather than black, and you won't be hassled at the airport; the E2O has the longer clip, but you can buy one from SF if you really want one.

When you get to the LEDs, the L1 isn't impressively bright enough, the L4 doesn't offer two stages, which is a big plus that the L2 does offer. However, if you were to have only one Surefire, and not build on the E2e, you could consider the A2. Then you get both worlds, LEDs for low light and battery saving, or incan for throw.

In the end, I still recommend the E2e, with the L2 and A2 as backup choices.

Hey AuroraLite, welcome to CPF and why dontcha stay awhile!

daloosh

STEVENT6

Enlightened

I would get the most general purpose, consider the l2 you'll have the e2 body with two levels of brightness. And you can buy other heads later. Or the e1 with the new L1 lamp assembly compact and bright for it's size. You would still be able to use the new L1 head if you get a 2-3 cell body later.

Mark2

Enlightened

I'd go for the A2 because it covers a wide range of applications and it is the most interesting one of these lights.

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast

kornkid:

I have the E2e and the A2. I had the E2d.

:et's just put it this way, having 45 minutes of constant out put and having a realitively powerful long'running led's is very very practical. Nowawdays I keep my E2e mostly only for occasions when I get dressed up to go somewhere, and I sold my E2d to fund my purchase of a second A2 after I lost my first one.

you get the idea.

Nick

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow another person in my age group!!! welcome to the youths of flashaholicism!!! cant tell you my age. ditto on E2E. I dont even own a SF but it has IMO the best reputation in the flashlight world. You have such kind parents.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif I wish my parents were so kind...

Topper

Flashaholic*

I would pick the L4 over the E2E limiting myself to your list. You could pick up a E2E head and lamp I think cheaper than adding a KL4 later.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

16 here!
Go with the E2e, you could always grab the KL4 head for it, go for an aleph

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

aww darn it. any under 15?

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd say go with the L2. Apart from having 2 levels of output, its got longer runtime too. Else the A2 would be a nicer toy to have as well, brightness and usefulness-wise. Apart from that, its a Chrissy present after all, so might as well get the better one right? You can always save up some $$ and buy the E2e later, as its much cheaper than either the L2 or A2!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cornkid

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks guys. I need a light that:
- just looks cool
- lasts a long time (needs to be anodized)
- I would like a Luxeon, but a bulb is ok
- It should have a lifetime warranty
- Needs to take either 123s or AAs

-tom

nirad

Enlightened

Go for the E2e, I like it because of the versatility:
*E2e and add a KL4, you have an L4
*E2e and a MN02 lamp, you have an E2O (not as much light, but better run time)
*Use your E2e bezel and tailcap and buy a E1e body and MN01 lamp and you have an E1e
*Use your E1e body with a KL4 head, and you have one nice compact LED torch.
*Buy an E2C adapter ,a "C" series bezel and a P61 lamp for major light output for the small "E" series package!!

Thats the beauty of the E series, you can experiment with the setup and form factor you like the best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

rifle59

Newly Enlightened

If you want a LED,Hard anodized,uses 123's, bright enough to do most tasks- get the L2. The dual beam mode is great. And you only need to carry spare batteries not an extra bulb.

RickDennis

Newly Enlightened

It was just a few weeks ago I was at the same crossroad. What SF to get? So my first SF was the E2e. Great light! Easy to carry. Impressive output. Outstanding quality.

Then I got hooked. Since then I've picked up a 9p and C3 HA. No regrets there either.

I would say your first SF should be the E2e. It will give you a good introduction to the versatility, quality and feel of SureFire products. But let me tell you, every choice is difficult because all the SureFires are excellent for different reasons. And I promise, you'll be hooked!

nitebrite

Enlightened

i'd go for the l4. even though i was sad i scratched mine(my own personal issue, no fault of the light) it is way nicer than the other small lights. when everyone said the e2e was the ultimate small light, it was. that was before the l4 though. indeed the e2e has somewhat more throw. however the l4 is brighter, whiter, runs longer, and has that amazing "wall of white light". if you need it for a specific task, get whichever is the right light for that task. if you are just a young person that loves flashlights, nothing will impress you and your friends like the l4. also the l4 is higher technology(regulated led) and you will probably never have to replace that led.

one caveat however, you are at the mercy of the luxeon lottery with this light. although i have never seen an outright bad one. sf bins them and is famous for qc so if one is just terrible i doubt it makes it out of the factory.

the bottom line to me is, many non-flashaholics are pretty impressed that the e2e is brighter than their 4d mag but they still always say "i still would not pay 100 bucks for a flashlight no matter how bright or small it is".
when you pull out the l4 and put it up against the 4d mag all they ever say is "i didn't even know a flashlight could do that!". reffering to how white and spread the beam is.
it produces a quality of beam no incan lamp can.
impressive to say the least!

nitebrite.