KL1s in stock again....

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a UPS notice from Surefire that something is shipping. The only open order from Surefire are KL1s....so its got to be them unless Surefire mixed up the order.

Just wanted to give you all out there a heads up that KL1s appear to be in stock, for those of you that want them.

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
asdalton said:
I hope so. I've had one waiting since October 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm.....I ordered mine well past October 6 (IIRC, I ordered early November). I'll know for sure if its the KL1s tomorrow (that is when UPS is scheduled to deliver). If it is the KL1s, I'd suggest giving Surefire a call and finding out why you don't get yours yet.

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
asdalton,
Yeah, something is wrong with your order,

I've ordered 3, all after October 11 and got them already. The first 2 showed up quick, the last one took about 4 weeks. Maybe you should call them?

I have a KL1 slightly off center, I'm wondering if I should risk sending it back. How is everyone's beam. Is it pretty well centered? Any artifacts?

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
HistoryChannel said:
asdalton,
Yeah, something is wrong with your order,

I've ordered 3, all after October 11 and got them already. The first 2 showed up quick, the last one took about 4 weeks. Maybe you should call them?

I have a KL1 slightly off center, I'm wondering if I should risk sending it back. How is everyone's beam. Is it pretty well centered? Any artifacts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll know tomorrow, but from past reviews people have reported that the KL1 New Model is very ringy in the corona. Apparently, its like an Inova X0...made for spot (throw) with a very ringy and dim sidespill.

The only reason I want the KL1s is for the longer bulb life, I'm NOT looking forward to the spot beam. Eventually, I'll just splurge and get the 5-watt heads for my 2-battery Executives (E2E and E20). The 5-watt heads have the nice reflector and balanced beam...

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
I don't like the spot beam either. This thing has very little spill. And what spill it has is ringy like you said. It does throw pretty far though. I'm impressed.

Unforunately this won't work for what I use flashlights for. Mostly EDC and night hikes. I love the new look of this light though, if they would only offer a flood version....

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, I called Surefire and they said that my order was shipped two days ago (Nov. 16). So it looks like the online order status isn't exactly up to speed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

lak

Newly Enlightened
The beam shaper works well with the KL1 for a smooth flood beam.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
lak said:
The beam shaper works well with the KL1 for a smooth flood beam.

[/ QUOTE ]

WORD.i just ordered a KL-1 and a shaper.Dude at SF recommended it, although i told him i am all about throw,, the more tight the better, so not much $ so what the hell. VDG

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings,

I received 2 today. Very cool. Very intense, white (with a bare hint of blue) square, tightly focused beam. Yes it does have a ringy corona and very little side spill. I have a light meter at work and one of the units is approximately 10% brighter than the other. I'm giving the dimmer one to a friend. I have mine on a E2D body. I wonder if this will get through airport security? I can't wait for night fall. They were well worth the 4 week wait and $56. Now I won't regret giving my L4 to my brother.

Shine on!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jeez....these KL1s I just got stink! Yes, the throw is VERY impressive but the tint is TERRIBLE. From reading all the hype on the various reviews, I expected good white tint. Instead, both have a blu'ish hotspot, c.u. yellow-green(inner hotspot edge) and blue to light purple (outer) hotspot edges, and alternating rings of blue, purple, yellow, and green in the corona (not necessarily in that order).

The hotspot isn't even round, its square on both lights. Now, I knew to expect the rings but I thought I'd at least get very good white tint out of these "3-watt" lights. Instead, I'm getting a rainbow pattern with shades of red being the only color not included.

Even my L1s, which also have terrible tint at least have more beam consistency than these KL1s.

I'll keep these since they have long LED life and are regulated, but I'm NOT at all pleased by the tint or beam quality. I won't be ordering anymore KL1 heads again. I've learned my lesson I think, pay a little more (or a lot more) and get the proven product...the 5-watt KL4 and KL5. I haven't had any problems with 5-watt Surefires in the past....

<font color="purple">Edit: outside, the tint is not as bad. Its harder to notice poor tint in a colored setting rather than a white wall. I suppose I can get use to this really strange rainbow tint if I use the lights mostly outside. </font>

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
That's disappointing. It's a shame they still seem to be hit-or-miss.

Since you are not pleased with them, may I have one? For free, I mean.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

HistoryChannel

Enlightened
The Lux V's are much better than the IIIs. My KL5s and L2s are white. My L1 and KL1 range from blue/white to green/white. I figured that is the characteristic of the LED.

sotto, I may end up selling at least one, probably at cost of $56+ tax. I got free shipping. I'll let you know if I'm going to sell.

What does everyone use a spot beam like this for?

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
HistoryChannel said:
The Lux V's are much better than the IIIs. My KL5s and L2s are white. My L1 and KL1 range from blue/white to green/white. I figured that is the characteristic of the LED.

sotto, I may end up selling at least one, probably at cost of $56+ tax. I got free shipping. I'll let you know if I'm going to sell.

What does everyone use a spot beam like this for?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it depends on the Lux III. My Elektrolumens Lux III are all very white. Surefire must be ordering LEDs based on how bright they are, with less emphasis on tint?

Yeah, I agree the Lux Vs are very good. My L2s and L4 all have good to top notch tint. (the L4 and two L2s have top notch tint, while my other 2 L2s have good tint).

The spot beam is pretty handy taking my dog to do his business in the back yard (I usually just use a flashlight and don't turn the outside lights on when I take him out). I don't need flood for that, since he usually goes far (the spot beams artifacts and tint are less noticable further away). For inside though, plus when walking outside, I prefer flood.