What a difference a regulator and reflector make

OddOne

Enlightened
Some folks here probably remember my preview writeup on LED Lenser's upcoming V2 3-watt 2x123 flashlight.

Well, I modded it. Left the LED it came with alone, but added a DownBoy 1,000ma rev3 regulator, SO20XA reflector, and mineral glass (to be replaced later with sapphire) bezel. Basically I converted a good solid mid-grade (for here, anyway!) direct-drive light into a great almost-high-end (again, for here) powerhouse that throws like crazy for its size.

The beamshot before-and-after speaks volumes:

beamshot_dark.jpg

beam_profile.jpg

Same LED, fresh batts, and similar lighting conditions in both cases. The camera exaggerates the difference but it is VERY obvious.

What a difference optics and regulation makes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

I know the marketing rep for Coast lurks about, so hopefully this will be enough to motivate them to pester Zweibrüder for some genuine, OEM high-end work. LED Lenser can CERTAINLY make a push into the high-end flashlight niche if they wanted to.

Article on the mod is here.

oO

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Re: What a difference a regulator and reflector ma

I tend to think of Zweibrueder of the Maglight of the LED world ... IMHO they are priced borderline-high for their usual clientel already and won't go any higher.
Zweibrueder is really big IIRC, but goes mostly unnoticed so far.
bernhard