Luxeons Now Ranked Like Nichias...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
This quote is directly from the LED Museum website:

Lumileds tests each one and seperates them into 7 different bins of related color temperatures - much the same way Nichia bins their blue LEDs for wavelength.

Craig, I only want to buy their whitest, brightest ones, how would I go about specifying/differentiating between them when I contact Lumileds?

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last time I talked with the factory (June) they were in the process of implementing screening and bin sorting as well as the new phosphor coating.

I believe the bin sorting has not been fully implemented yet. The new 1W HD has the new phosphor coating method.

WayneY

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand that not only do they (Lumileds) class them by color, they also classify them by output, and pattern.

Unfortunately, getting the "best of the best", is a "hit or miss proposition". I think Peter, Kevin, Daniel and others will attest to this fact.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Yes, I guess we need to be one of the heavy hitters ordering a significant number to ask for sorting.

What about a group buy of, say, a thousand or 500 or so direct from Lumileds? Might get us some attention then...