Zebralight H53w and H53Fw Now Available

Genzod

Banned
I like to add d-c-fix diffusion film to my headlamps. I find adding this to the standard (H52, H600) lamps works well. Some flood, but still more hotspot than the F models. Beyond that, I sometimes carry my SC600w HI for when I need to go out further or "punch" thru the trees to find auxiliary trails or things in the distance. You may not want to have to carry a dedicated light for this, but it is a nice option if you're willing to. I do about 50% of the time...just depends on the type of trip. But I'm someone that actually doesn't want headlamps to be very throwy.

That was my intention all along, to get a throwy clear lens version of the H53 and use a simple diffuser as you described. It all starts with the lamp's throw, though.

Mark, this message is not intended for you:

I would remind people on this thread who want to leave demeaning characterizations of me to read the second post I made on this thread, and ask yourself if you still think my intention was to troll the forum and dismiss ZL at every turn. This thread started out on a very positive note in defense of ZL. That was MY post.

Last edited:

Genzod

Banned
This is the conclusion of my investigation on die sizes between the ZL H52 and ZL H53 line and the throw calculation:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...te-High-CRI!&p=5100566&viewfull=1#post5100566

My opinion is that the only thing appreciably affecting throw from the prior H52 generation to the current H53 generation is an output increase of 18%. Going from the lab measured 66 m @ 0.25 lux of the 300 lm setting of the H52, the H53w with 330 lm output should have about a 69m range. It seems better, but with 14500 support and 535 lm burst mode (lasting 1 minute), the old H53 cool white had a max range of 88m.

Output for output between generations, the headlamp is brighter due to the XP-L2 emitter:twothumbs, but due to loss of 14500 support, there isn't enough voltage to produce an output that would exceed the boost of the former generation. So the overall result is, the maximum range in the H53 line has been significantly compromised by loss of 14500 support.:thumbsdow

If you want range similar to the old H52 cool white, you might wait for the H33 model. The higher voltage of the CR123A battery will probably give you what you're hoping for.

Last edited:

mightysparrow

Enlightened
My Zebralights all have the screw-on pocket clips. Does anybody know if the removable pocket clips on the H53 will tightly (firmly) grip the light and whatever I clip the light to, or is it relatively easy to tear off the light under pressure? Does anyone have experience with the Zebralight removable clips that can tell me how firmly the clip grasps the light? That matters to me, because I would mainly use the light with the clip, not the headband, and I would hate to lose my light!

Genzod

Banned
My Zebralights all have the screw-on pocket clips. Does anybody know if the removable pocket clips on the H53 will tightly (firmly) grip the light and whatever I clip the light to, or is it relatively easy to tear off the light under pressure? Does anyone have experience with the Zebralight removable clips that can tell me how firmly the clip grasps the light? That matters to me, because I would mainly use the light with the clip, not the headband, and I would hate to lose my light!

You could PM TCY, he has the new H53c. Otherwise, the H53c thread is your best bet.

TCY

Enlightened

I tried to take the clip off of my H53Fc as I saw your post, it took some serious and sudden force to succeed. Even if pulled half way through, the clip just "bounces" back if I let go. I doubt it will come off accidentally during whatever you do.

mightysparrow

Enlightened
I tried to take the clip off of my H53Fc as I saw your post, it took some serious and sudden force to succeed. Even if pulled half way through, the clip just "bounces" back if I let go. I doubt it will come off accidentally during whatever you do.

Thanks very much for the info - that's very helpful! Sounds like a light I can use.