Has Zebralight been supplanted flood headlamp?

moses

Enlightened
Though I've been a member of this forum just about forever, I've not kept up with the latest tech.

My all-time favorite flashlights are Zebralight flood headlamps in high CRI. I have it in AA and 18650 configuration. However, just peeking at the Zebralight site, I noticed that they have canceled a number of previous models, and they don't seem to have improved their lumens.

Are there other companies that do flood better than Zebralight?

By the way, Zebralight flood is about 120 degrees, and I think an 80-90 degree flood would be even better to have a more intense beam. 120 degrees is so wide that a lot of the spill seems to be wasted.

Thanks for any insight.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I don't know if ZL has been supplanted, but I don't see as many fans posting as I did in the past.
I just took a beam shot of my Sofirn D25L to see if it meets your beam profile request.

I estimate that it is a 75 degree beam. It's hot spot is rather broad. I like it so much that I eventually bought four of them. I estimate that the hot spot is about 1/3rd of the beam, IE 25 degrees.

1698403023119.png

TimMc

Newly Enlightened
ZebraLight are working on a H54 headlamp. They started using a SC54/H54 driver in their recent batches of SC53. There's less support for 14500 Li-ion...

I posted a review of a ZebraLight H53FcN that I bought. The output is well regulated. It seems better than the Acebeam H16. Skilhunt H150 is a good competitor.

ZebraLight H600Fc Mk IV is one of my favourite headlamps. The Armytek Wizard C2 Pro Nichia 144AR has a similarly floody beam and excellent output regulation. I bought one second-hand. I've included some beamshots of the Nichia headlamp with Armytek Wizard C2 WR. The WR has a slightly tighter beam.

The Armytek Wizard C2 Pro Max LR Warm has a floody beam but it also has a CREE rainbow. The TIR optic version of this headlamp has a nicer beam.

And then there's Skilhunt H300/H300R.

ZebraLight has a lot of competition and some of the drivers are pretty good. I hope that they release an improved version of the H600Fc.

I have too many headlamps. 🤣

Szemhazai

Enlightened
Basically, when they were starting, there were Zebralight and Spark as integrated 18650 battery lights on the market - those days, the Cree XM-L T6 LED cost about 9 USD - this day, you can buy Zebralight clone for 9-19 USD - not too much room for a product development.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I go with a Nitecore HC60 V2 these days. 100 degree very evenly spread out beam and 1200 lumens is plenty. Most use is no more than the 250 lumen setting. The even beam pattern makes it good for trail running on the higher settings.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
ZebraLight are working on a H54 headlamp. They started using a SC54/H54 driver in their recent batches of SC53. There's less support for 14500 Li-ion...

I posted a review of a ZebraLight H53FcN that I bought. The output is well regulated. It seems better than the Acebeam H16. Skilhunt H150 is a good competitor.
Checked out your review. Really loved it. My wallet hates you.

JethroL

Newly Enlightened
The one zebraligt I bought has the sexiest warmest LED colour of my collection but it has a flaw that if I use it in turbo it will just shut off now and I have to reset by unscrewing the tail cap. I keep it for camping.
I'm just offended that they decided to stop shipping outside the US, I'm in the UK. (So I am back to using armytek until other brands catch up with thier 21700s)

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
Specifically I'd love to see ZL offering a 18650 flood (not floody) pattern at ≤4500 K.

Something with the specs of the discontinued H604c. I know at least one CPF member has had issues with theirs, but on paper it sounds great. It also had great reviews on the ZL site.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
ZebraLight H600Fc Mk IV is one of my favourite headlamps.
Tim, your reviews are great. Thumbed through many of them this weekend. Any chance you'd consider doing one for the ZL H600FC Mk IV? I know it's an older model, but I'm having trouble sifting through the anecdotal reports. I'd really like to know how the runtimes, Cri, and general beam characteristics hold up. If not an evaluation of your own, can you direct me to another review that cuts the mustard? Thanks!

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Hello moses; I didn't notice this thread the first time around (CPF member # 126, wow - good call on the username, huh !)

I'm afraid I don't have a lot of experience with headlamps, but since Poppy mentioned the Sofirn D25L I really wanted to concur on that specifically. I love flood there is no doubt about that - and reading about that characteristic re: the Sofirn, encouraged me enough for me to pick one up recently. Really glad I did - am rather stunned to see the relative performance levels of modern headlamps now.

TimMc

Newly Enlightened
Tim, your reviews are great. Thumbed through many of them this weekend. Any chance you'd consider doing one for the ZL H600FC Mk IV? I know it's an older model, but I'm having trouble sifting through the anecdotal reports. I'd really like to know how the runtimes, Cri, and general beam characteristics hold up. If not an evaluation of your own, can you direct me to another review that cuts the mustard? Thanks!
Here's a short review by a BLF member with some runtime graphs and LED measurements:

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
Here's a short review by a BLF member with some runtime graphs and LED measurements:
Thanks. More than the review, the comments to it are revealing. I'll need to lurk around on the budget light forum more.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. More than the review, the comments to it are revealing. I'll need to lurk around on the budget light forum more.
How about you all give us a synopsis? To me, BLF is tiresome and trivial except for notable CPF members there, and Toykeeper and an few other real experts.

Not looked over there since maybe December, even though it doesn't take long.

Last edited:

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
How about you all give us a synopsis?

Nothing new since December. Comments go back to 2018. Some interesting tests. For a light mentioned as much, odd not to find a good runtime graph across modes with Lumens on the y-axis...(@TimMc , nudge nudge).

General consensus good:
• CRI is pretty solid, averaging 90 across modes.
• Just about everyone thinks the tint is at least ok. Some think it's great.
• Not a mule but very even diffusion. Good pattern.
• All the normal good stuf about ZL (build, compact, anodizing)
Biggest complaints:
• First batches had a PID issue causing it to oscillate. Was resolved by making the step-down worse.????
• The tailcap spring heats up. Causes resistance.
• Step-down from turbo is quick and dramatic.
• Not as efficient as some other lower CRI, cooler temp lights (weird complaint).

Best graphs regarding color here. The chart after on runtime is odd, starting on "high" at 400 lumens, compares it to lights with far cooler temps and worse CRI. Apples to oranges, IMO.

I'm left concluding that one of the newer Nichia Skilhunt models probably beats it out on most fronts. CRI and runtimes (probly).

TimMc

Newly Enlightened
Nothing new since December. Comments go back to 2018. Some interesting tests. For a light mentioned as much, odd not to find a good runtime graph across modes with Lumens on the y-axis...(@TimMc , nudge nudge).

General consensus good:
• CRI is pretty solid, averaging 90 across modes.
• Just about everyone thinks the tint is at least ok. Some think it's great.
• Not a mule but very even diffusion. Good pattern.
• All the normal good stuf about ZL (build, compact, anodizing)
Biggest complaints:
• First batches had a PID issue causing it to oscillate. Was resolved by making the step-down worse.????
• The tailcap spring heats up. Causes resistance.
• Step-down from turbo is quick and dramatic.
• Not as efficient as some other lower CRI, cooler temp lights (weird complaint).

Best graphs regarding color here. The chart after on runtime is odd, starting on "high" at 400 lumens, compares it to lights with far cooler temps and worse CRI. Apples to oranges, IMO.

I'm left concluding that one of the newer Nichia Skilhunt models probably beats it out on most fronts. CRI and runtimes (probly).
I'll see if I can do a review of the H600Fc Mk IV like my review of the H53FcN. It'll be after visiting China in April due to other commitments beforehand.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
I'll see if I can do a review of the H600Fc Mk IV like my review of the H53FcN.
Thanks, Tim. At this point all I'd like to see is a good set of runtime graphs like the ones in your reviews. It's the last area where I can't seem to find much reliable information on. I know I've been badgering you and I apologize if you're feeling pressured. I honestly wouldn't expect you to do a whole review on a six year old light.