Camping/Backpacking light?

duddy1

Newly Enlightened
I wanted some input on a good flashlight for backpacking and general camping. Something around $50. What about this Luxeon leds should a guy go with a brand that features those types of led's? Any input would be appreciated.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Want 48 hour runtime in the smallest 2 CR123 lithium cell configuration (3.75 inches) with nice output from 5 white (or green) LED's that's waterproof and very resistant to destruction (and with whatever you want laser-engraved on it for free)?

Try a Nightcutter 5C Sportlight (nightcutter.com).

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Here's Quickbeam's review of the Yukon HL

You might want to check out Quickbeam's Flashlight Reviews while you're there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recommend either an Infinity or Infinity Ultra. 41 hrs and 25 hrs runtime, respectively. An EternaLight is mighty handy too, with it's adjustability. Just get something else with throw for just in case you hear something rustling around. Probably a good incandescent. Not sure which one, though. Maybe a PT surge?

Reaper

Enlightened
Don't forget to consider some type of headlamp for the times when you need to use both hands. The time I was down in Yosemite the headlamp was one of my most used light.

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually carry my Pelican 3Led 3AA headlamp and my UKE 2L for camping trips. Headlamp keeps my handsfree and the UKE is for spotting longer distances. The Gerber/CMG Infinity (Ultra) is also a great long running light for that matter, that's always on my neck on a lanyard as a backup.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the flexibility of the EternaLights for camping. Hundreds of hours on the lowest mode and fairly bright on high (four 5mm LEDs), plus signalling modes for emergencies and it's waterproof. Edmund Scientifics has a great deal on the ErgoXRay version right now for $27.95.

http://scientificsonline.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_3113100

I'd also pickup an inexpensive LED headlamp. The Energizer model can be had at Target, Walmart and the like for under $15.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Hybrid (LED/incan) all the way!! I hear ppl ravin' about the PT Yukon HL, I like the Black Diamond hybrid models (although I'd like to see them come up with one that has a Lux & 5mm LEDs instead of incan & 5 mm LEDs...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
A minimalist approach might be a Pak-Lite from CCrane. It also depends on how much light you actually NEED.

A Pak-Lite with the alkaline 9V cell that comes with it for just $22.95 at CCrane has two intensity levels and will give you 600 hrs of consistant light on the low setting. IMO it is bright enough for many backpacking tasks -- especially when you consider that there is usually much less ambient light in the places you are likely to go.

See the tiny Pak-Lite here

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the drop-in modules in Brinkmann AA flashlights -- settled on the MadMax Lite module with the McFlood reflector, which will use up my old tired AA batteries or run on NiMH or on the new AA lithiums that don't fail in cold weather.

chiphead

Flashlight Enthusiast
For emergencey signaling I'd say the Eternalight EliteMax with built in S.O.S. Cause you never know when your backsides are going to be hanging out!

chiphead

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I am not really a serious back packer, the ones I know are extremely sensitive about weight. Just curious, how sensitive is your application for a 2x123 light to the difference in weight of 150 grams vs 80 grams ?(including battery)

The reason I ask, is that I have a homemade project in progress. While it is not ready for prime time, I did manage to get a Lux III based light down to nominally 80 grams. Just curious on whether or not this is interesting enough to overcome some of the crazy things I did to get there.

SolarPowered

Newly Enlightened
The UKE 2L with the eLED lamp module is probably the best for this. It's indestructable, puts out a really useful amount of light, and runs for something like 7 hours on a set of batteries before it starts to dim. It's really small and light.

My kids use my MiniMag w/Opalec all the time for a camping and backpacking. (It's been up and down Half Dome at night at least two or three times.) It's a little heavier than the UKE 2L, and doesn't put out as much light. The amount of light is, however, sufficient for the purpose. It runs for about 8 hours or so before is starts to dim.

The UKE 4AA eLED is also really nice, but not quite the ultimate in lightness. Lithium AAs would lighten it up a bit, and it's said they will give you about 18 hours of light before they start dimming. The light output is identical to the 2L w/eLED. It's a really great deal for $20 at Bright Guy. (If they have any left--I just ordered a bunch for Christmas presents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif)

Freedom1955

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
SolarPowered said:
The UKE 2L with the eLED lamp module is probably the best for this. It's indestructable, puts out a really useful amount of light, and runs for something like 7 hours on a set of batteries before it starts to dim. It's really small and light.

My kids use my MiniMag w/Opalec all the time for a camping and backpacking. (It's been up and down Half Dome at night at least two or three times.) It's a little heavier than the UKE 2L, and doesn't put out as much light. The amount of light is, however, sufficient for the purpose. It runs for about 8 hours or so before is starts to dim.

The UKE 4AA eLED is also really nice, but not quite the ultimate in lightness. Lithium AAs would lighten it up a bit, and it's said they will give you about 18 hours of light before they start dimming. The light output is identical to the 2L w/eLED. It's a really great deal for $20 at Bright Guy. (If they have any left--I just ordered a bunch for Christmas presents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

SolarPowered,

Do you by any chance know the part number for the eLED lamp module for the UKE 2L? I would be buying it at BrightGuys. I wonder what the run time would be for the 2L with eLED module?

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why would you buy the eLED module when you can get the whole light for 4 dollars more? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mark