Does the HA III finish on your Arc AAA LE chip or flake off??

nonbox

Banned
How does the HA III finish wear over time on your Arc AAA LE?

Does the HA III finish chip or flake off?

Saaby

Flashaholic
It "chips" off, not scratches off, as that's the advantage of HA III. it's quite tough though, I accidently scratched it against the bottom of my metal desk, hard, did a LOT more damage tothe desk than the light. Left a few character marks but they're only seen if looked for.

carbonsparky

Enlightened
The anodized finish is a electo chemical etch process. They place the piece of aluminum in a chemical bath and supply a electrical current through the item. This causes a controlled type of etching and oxidation which forms a coating harder than the original aluminum. It also creates a semi porous surface that takes the color of the dye if such is desired. No it will not flake off. The coating is aluminum oxide, you may have heard of aluminum oxide sandpaper. That is how hard that stuff is.

Darell

Flashaholic
I don't think I know of a finish that is more durable than the high-quality HA III exterior that can be found on Arc and Surefire products. Yeah, you can destroy it, but it won't be easy. If you keep an HA III light in your pocket with a bunch of keys, it'll show some wear after a long while. Compare that to a few minutes with HA II. I've also been able to see some wear by dragging the things on concrete for a few miles. But I don't carry keys, and if I manage to keep my lights off the pavement, I can't tell my used ones from my new ones (after I clean the lint out of them).

JollyRoger

Enlightened
Dragging your poor ARC's on concrete, eh? Come on, Darell! Give 'em a break!
(Do you attach them to the bumper of your EV?)

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by JollyRoger:
Dragging your poor ARC's on concrete, eh? Come on, Darell! Give 'em a break!
(Do you attach them to the bumper of your EV?)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I think he means he just walks down concrete roads a few miles - probably when he's searching for water or grass.
wink.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif

darellcowgod.jpg

Darell

Flashaholic
Actually, I let my daughter drag one of my very fist ones around. We were out in the street playing basketball, and she was running all over the place dragging my AAA on a tether like a pull-toy.

I can confidently say that I don't own a more durable flashlight than my Arc AAAs. Have you seen the Mr. Science video of an AAA vs. a Minimag is the super "drop" test? Shouldn't be missed. Wonder where I put it...

Darell

Flashaholic
Hmmm. I can't get it to run from your site. No file extension?

But I found it on mine: Mag drop

Sure, bulb failure isn't the durability that we were talking about in this thread, but hey...