Thanksgiving dinner

Greta

Flashaholic
Ok... let's get the juices flowing!!
yum.gif

I'm having my Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow (Wednesday) night because my daughter is coming and she has to be back home by Thursday evening and doesn't want to have to make that drive after she's all stuffed and happy.

So tonight I'm working on the deserts. I baked 3½ dozen TollHouse cookies... made with almond extract, not vanilla... there is a pan of chocolate chunk brownies currently in the oven and I'm getting ready to roll out the Crisco pie crust for the apple pie... baked with Granny Smith's.

Seeing as how my daughter is a vegetarian and my boys don't care too much for turkey, I bought a 3 lb. boneless turkey breast that I'll cook up with stuffing and I'll have mashed potatoes, au gratin potatoes, corn, peas and green beans... and I'm considering french onion soup... if I can find a recipe that is not made with beef broth. And I bought a Marie Callander's punkin pie 'cuz I never have been able to make a decent one myself from scratch.

It's not much and not fancy but for us it will be more than enough... and my family will just be grateful that I cooked... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

So what is everyone else making? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
spaghetti /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gifim sick a spagehti to lol.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a vegetarian onion soup I would start with Alton Browns recipe but replace the consume and chicken broth with vegetable broth. You might also experiment with adding a little unflavored gelatin to it as it heats to give it a little better mouth feel. I think that might actually be good!

Around here we're having turkey Thursday. The poor thing is in the fridge and tomorrow it goes into the brine overnight and will get roasted in the early afternoon for an early dinner. We're doing the bird and providing the venue, but the rest of the family are bringing everything else (cheese cake, stuffing, mashed garlic potatoes, sweet potatoes (yes the kind with marshmallows on top) stuffing (which was renamed dressing in England many years ago because of what stuffing was slang for) oh and probably dozens of other things.)

I just wish I could get over this cough in time to enjoy it all... hack cough, sputter...

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I'm going to Sasha's house (first), then I'll stop by James place, and then finish up here at home! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14C

Enlightened
Pitted olives, celery. carrots and dip, mixed nuts and Ritz with gorgonzolla or cheddar appetizers.

Turkey with stuffing and gravy made from drippings, garlic mashed idaho, jersey sweet whipped, shoepeg corn, steamed green beans with french fried onions, whole cranberry sauce, dinner rolls with cream style butter, garden saled with dressing variety, deep dish apple pie with Ben and Jerry's vanilla ice cream on top. Zinfandel and MGD.

and FOOTBALL! ... well I'm not MAKING that.....:) and the Zinfandel, pie and ice cream should keep whoever else shows happy while I enjoy the football.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hides in sigmans trunk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanksgiving and maybe Christmas is about the only time I get to eat it but one of my favorite deserts is date creme pie.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i love turkeyyyyyyy . like to smash the turkey meat in the gravy and real masshed pootatoes.soon as thanksgiveing is over im going to look for cheap turkeys. one year i saw it for like 29 cents per pound

brightnorm

Flashaholic
We'll go see the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade and then a big Thanksgiving restaurant dinner with family and close friends.

Happy Thanksgiving all.

Brightnorm

Greta

Flashaholic
James... I was going to use vegetable broth instead of the consume... but then my daughter whined, "but Mom... I thought you were going to make your potatoe leek soup!"... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif ... so I guess I'll be going to the market to find some leeks first thing in the morning... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I forgot to mention that I'll also be making stuffed mushrooms... I stuff them with chopped up mushroom stems, bread crumbs, butter, parm. cheese and LOTS of garlic!

And I forgot to mention our adult beverage of the day too... Guinness Snakebites! ... Guinness Draught floated on top of hard cider... (yes I know... it's just a simple black and tan... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) ... I finally figured out last night how to get the cider UNDER the Guinness... I'm 42 years old and no one ever told me about the spoon trick... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Anyway... the pie just came out of the oven... it is very purty... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... and the house smells wonderful... so I think it's time to hit the hay.

Raggie... you're welcome here anytime... be careful in Sig's trunk though... I hear he's got alot of junk in there... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Sasha:

Sometime you might want to try Tofurkey -- tofu fake turkey -- which is a lot better than it sounds. The vegans in you family will love it, and it's healthful and cruelty free.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tofu cruelty free? Not if you are deathly allergic to soy like I am /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick2.gif

James,
Gelatin is an animal by product so don't put it in veggie soup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sasha Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family !
Same goes to everyone on CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
My daughter is a vegetarian... not a vegan. She'll eat fish and eggs and milk... but she won't eat soy!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eeew.gif That stuff is just gross... and I don't eat "fake" anything... that's just wrong... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif...

Wolfen... Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours also... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

raggie33

*the raggedier*
opps forgot to say happy thanks giveing every one,dont eat to much and have a bleesed day

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolfen, in looking it up, jello is still made from rendered animal pieces. I had it in my mind somehow that it was made from sea weed now, but it doesn't look like it is.

I'd love to try deep frying one someday, when the kids are a little older and I'm less afraid of turning my back on the fryer for a few seconds I'll give that a try.

Sasha, I LOVE potato leak soup! I make that also quite often around here.

MoonRise

Enlightened
MMMM, potato-leek soup! But my recipe starts with "render XX pieces of diced bacon, then saute onions and leeks in bacon fat."

Heathens -could- saute the veggies in butter or oil, but come-on ...

I probably would also richen it a bit with some heavy cream as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<font color="brown"> Happy Thanksgiving All!!! </font>

MicroE

Enlightened
I have been sentenced to have Thanksgiving dinner at my sister-in-laws house. On Saturday we'll go down to see my parents and have our traditional Saturday-No-Traffic Thanksgiving feast.

PEU---I am an engineer, not a historian, but here goes.....
Thanksgiving is holiday that celebrates the survival of a group of colonists in (what would one day become) the U.S.A.
The colonists weren't very good at living off the land so they were very grateful when some native Americans (the folks that were here long before Columbus "discovered" America) brought them food during the winter.

Other than that, it is a fall harvest festival. Basically, every religion has a fall harvest festival. Here in the U.S.A. we have turned the festival into a national holiday with no religious overtones.---Marc