Newbie question on Mod for mag 2d

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to mod an old ( but dear ) Mag 2d.
I intend to machine up a heat sink and mount for a LUX III.
Understand how to cut down the standard reflector and the importance of a good lens and I can disasemble the switch and cut down the original bulb holder.

I do not understand about the electronics. Using 2 D cells I realize I will need to use some sort of circuit to boost the whatever. Can someone please tell me what I need to purchase.

skr

Newly Enlightened
Use 1-inch schedule 40 PVC pipe, and cut to length. Insert into the 2D body, and insert three C cells into the pipe. Then remove the anodizing from the interior of the tailcap using sandpaper or lye (careful!), trim the tailcap spring, and drop it all the way down into the tailcap. Install the tailcap, and voila... your light is now powered by three C cells.

You could also install a boost convertor, such as one of Dat2zip's BadBoy modules. I'll have to leave a description of this to someone else...

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nicad rechargeable c cells direct drive a TV1K emitter rather nicely.
900-1100ma.
Nimh c cells will need a lux3 emitter ending with L (ie TYOL)
oeo200 has both of those for now in the b/s/t lights forum.
www.amondotech.com seems to have the best prices for the nimh or nicad c cells and vanson bc-1hu charger.
good luck.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
3rd_shift.....YOU'RE TEMPTING ME! You sure they'll run ok on a TY0L? I have some, and I'm thinking about it, but I tried them on 3 x AA NiMH and they only passed 500mA. Think we need a K bin here.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
The K bin gets about 1.2 amps shoved through it after the Titanium brand 4500 nimhs have rested.
These bigger batteries have quite a bit more on demand sustainable current than many aaa's do.
You may actually have upper L bins too.
Mount one on a heatsink with a bigger 3 cell arrangement and see what happens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm... I tried again with my other TY0L and I got 0.52A. I guess the margins are too thin, after all, these Sanyo NiMH hot off the charger are the ones pushing 14 amps and driving WA1185s, so they should have what it takes. Maybe I really need a K.

Anglepoise

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for all your suggestions.
Right now I am considering a VIP driver @1000ma, and keeping the 2D configuration. Lux attached to home made'Hotlips'.

Simple soldering that I think I can handle.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the very worst, a k may end up needing only slight added resistance.
Looks like your L's are borderline M. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
I'm direct driving a K with 3 nicads at 3.7 volts and 900ma.
Nimhs do about 1.2.
Fresh alkalines do about 1.6 amps.
With .4 ohms added:
nicads are 600ma.
Nimhs are 1000ma starting hot off the charger and settling to 700ma.
Alks are 1.1 amps starting.