Lens protection for the Sharper Image light...

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my 1W Sharper Image Luxeon light for $20. (see thread elsewhere in this section). I do notice that the SI light appears to have no cover over the front of the optic. This is a guess based on close inspection of the surface of the lens: it has radially symmetric variations on its surface, indicating that it is not part of a thin plastic cover but that it is the actual surface of the optic.

If anyone knows this to be wrong, please reply and correct me.

Anyway, I went ahead and cut out a piece of PDA plastic protector sheet in the shape of the lens and put it on. A piece the size of a dime is about right. If anyone else does this, they should remember to cut a little tiny tab on one side of the protector which will provide something to pull the protector off with if you ever need to replace it.

This at least makes me feel better about the risk of scratches, and it doesn't cost me a measurable amount of light, according to my relatively imprecise analog light meter.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
This sounds correct. I suspect you can just push the optic out. I don't know if there is a gasket in there. You might be able to drop in a lens of the correct size. If no gasket you might also be able to squeeze in an o-ring or maybe just put a tiny amount of silicon in there to seal it.

Be interested to know what you find out.

-john

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually put the lens protection on from the outside of the light - never took the head off. As a result there is a very small gap at the edges but most of the optic is protected.