Finally got my KL4...

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
...after almost three months.

Wow, very impressive! It really is a "wall of light."

I was really counting on the KL4 working with one cell and I got a good one, because it works perfectly with my E1e. The E1e/KL4 combo really does put out an amazing amount of light.

However... the LED is slightly green. I know this is fairly common in 5 watt Luxeons, but I really want a whiter beam. Should I return it to SureFire? I don't relish the thought of waiting another 2 1/2 months for a replacement that might not work with one cell. Will they even accept a return for a tint issue?

Just wanting some advice. Thanks.

knifebright

Enlightened
I don't think tint issues warrented with surefire. Mine was also slightly green. I did change out the emmitter with a slightly blueish luxv. I love the kl4 head as well
jimmy

dabiscake

Newly Enlightened
knifebright, when you changed out the emitter, do you see/have access to the board? Is there a way to boost the current a bit? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif THanks...

knifebright

Enlightened
ya you have great access to the board. It's biased around 665ma or so. i've heard from the experts that you shouldn't go much higher and i agree. Think about the amount of heat that it produces normally. It's a lot so more current would make more heat. You could boost it and go to a lux3.
jimmy

Gandalf

Enlightened
Slightly greenish tints seem pretty common in the KL4. Generally, it's only visible on a white wall. That's the way mine is, anyway; and I've seen a lot of similar posts.

Unfortunately, my KL4 head is not a good performer on one cell, at least not what I was hoping for, after reading other's posts. Mine develops that 'dark center' that's also fairly common, on one cell. So, 2 cells it is...... but it's *really bright*! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif