L6 problem?

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Today I've received my L6.

The big problem is that my 9P (actually a 6P+A19) with KL5 runs noticeably whiter and brighter than L6. Both with with brand new 3 x123 Energizers E2. Unplugged the A19 from 9P reversing to 6P but things just went like before.

KL6 ser. numb.is A06169 and KL5's one is A00295.
L6 body S/N is A16844.

Any hint? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Mark2

Enlightened
The KL5 uses a boost circuit, I'm not sure that it's okay to run it on 9V. Maybe this results in overdriving the Lux-V which would explain the increased brightness. Normaly the KL5 is not brighter than the KL6/L6. Do you have any other (known) light to compare it with?

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe Mark2 is correct. The KL5 is designed for two-SF123As. Powering the KL5 using three-SF123As means it is being over-driven and this may harm some KL5's used a lot.

The difference between the KL5 and the KL6 is more a function of the beam shape (due to reflector differences) rather than a difference in Lumen output.

Al

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
@Mark2
Thanks for the reply /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
The fact is that even removing A19 thus running 6P+KL5 (2x123)it looks like KL5 performs far better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif
I could compare Kl6 against 6P+A19 and P90 lamp with original 6P bezel....

@Size 15's: thanks also to you for the reply

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
There were several posts about this back when the L5 and L6 first came out. Some folks didn't notice any difference in light output between the two and in fact a few folks sold their L6's in favor of the L5's smaller form factor. Some folks noticed the the L6 was SLIGHTLY brighter with more throw. It's all subjective though as I'm sure some L6 owners will chime in and say their L6 is WAY brighter than the L5. It's all in the luxeon lottery!

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunatly Gene is right. It's all in the lottery. Wish it were not so especially in a premium light.

I have 2 L6's and an L5. One L6 doesnt seem unusually bright but it blows away my L5 and my other L6. Both lesser lights are quite green. The L5 being distractingly green and the other L6 has a very pronounced donut and is much greener than the other.

Hey Daberti. I'll trade you KL5's then your L6 will be brighter. Just kidding.

My good L6 is a fantastic light and works very well, so 1 out of 3 ain't bad...Or is that $265 out of $700+.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
Fortunately got mine for 200bucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My KL5 is on eBay right now...no offers though and after all its not that bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good price daberti and in case no one has done it yet...WELCOME to CPF!

tequilathursday,
That really sucks about your greenie L5 and L6 and the donut hole in your L6. I've read some posts though about L6's having DH's but not very many about L5's being green. Every L5 I've seen including mine has been very white. In fact I've owned many, many LED lights and my L5 has the whitest and all around best beam I've ever experienced. Yup, the luxeon lottery always comes in play but I wouldn't stand for a green L5 or an L6 with a pronounced DH. I'd have sent it back for a replacement from the dealer or Surefire.

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
Hey Gene,

Yes it does suck. I'm gona call surefire about the DH L6, it's clearly defective. You can see how the reflector isnt formed properly. I think they use a metalic vapor process. It's very thin and not as shiny and texturized as my better L6. Plus theres a bunch of visible blemishes in the reflective surface.( Like dust gets in car paint).

The L5 is very green, but otherwise perfect, so I'm going to keep it in hopes of finding a good lux V to mod it with. (plus i waited a long time to get it anyway).

anyway. I hope my replacement L6 is as good or better than the already good one I have. Got my fingers crossed.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
One of the biggest reasons I got my L5 was because of what people have said about how white it is. Plus i like the form factor. Oh well. Never won the state lottery either.

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
@Gene: thanks for welcoming me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Latest news are quite good: even if still less white than KL5, after 30 minutes of (not continuous) use now L6 shows its stuff. Longer throw and teensie weensie more output [edit: than KL5].
This leads me to following conclusions:
1)Probably Digital Circuitry had to "bed in" to new E2 Energizers, coming from the nearly depleted shipped SF123.

2)Some NyoGen 759G would do some good. BTW: is it to be put on threads only or on minus polarity spring also?

Size15's

Flashaholic
[OT]Re: L6 problem?

The lube is for the o-ring and to lesser extent the threads (since it does migrate when the threaded parts are rotated). There is no need to lube the spring contact. Infact, these usually have 'sharp' ends to score a better connection into the battery so lube would be a bad idea.

member 6142

Newly Enlightened
[OT]Re: L6 problem?

Liquid crystal clear.
Huge thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
One question though: to which extent its conductiveness is worth?

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at Surefire's website and this is what it said for the KL5:

"The KL5 LED conversion head provides your 6P, 9P, C2, C3, G2, G2Z, M2, Z2, or Z3 flashlight to high-intensity LED technology."

I don't understand what could be the problem with his KL5 if it is designed for three cell lights as SF's website says.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yeah well... If it breaks I'm sure SureFire will fix it.
I suggest you don't use it on three-SF123As constant-on a lot though. Momentary use may be less of a concern.

Al