inova T3/XO3 vs. SL Scorpion vs. PM6 LED?

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sharper Image carries the XO3 but in my loc. the others would be mail order. The XO3 looks a little larger but per the reviews has more throw than the PM6.

I'm wondering how its throw compares to the others, and if this is a significant enough difference to be worthwhile. Otherwise I would get the PM6 and enjoy a little better battery life. OTOH I had always planned to get a PM6 AND a Scorpion so I would have some attributes of both but maybe the XO3 does that already.

In the back of my mind I think of how I used to play with the M_g 2D by adjusting it to its tightest spot and looking at things far away. Will the Scorpion or XO3 provide similar range?

Hoya

Newly Enlightened
Hi, are you referring to SL Scorpion LED? Because if not, you are actually comparing apple and orange. Scorpion (Xenon) will definitely outthrow all the rest of the LED lights you'd mentioned here.

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I was comparing the incandescent Scorpion (which is why I didn't post in the LED forum). Your answer addresses my question pretty well.

davidra

Enlightened
Don't know about the Scorpion, but my T3 will definitively outthrow my G2, but not my Mag2c 3X123. Not all incans can outthrow all LED's. Does the Scorpion outhrow P60's?

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamhead,

Thanks for the sharper image coupon. That will come in handy.

Curtis

Ratso

Enlightened
Keep in mind that the XO3 has no 'spill' light whatsoever. Its special lens focuses all the light forward into a tight spot. This may not be ideal if you are using the light for walking in the woods or searching. Both the Scorpion and Pelican M6 use reflectors, which give spill light, for a more versatile beam. I haven't seen the M6 or the XO3, but the Scorpion wins in sheer power. It likely out throws both, and the Xenon bulb lights up farther outdoors. However, it has all the disadvantages of an incandescant, and has a shorter battey life. The M6 with reflector is probably the most versatile, combining good spill light, decent throw, and the advantages of LED.

StuU

Enlightened
The PM6 led has excellent throw but also has one of the best all-around beams I have seen. The general beam quality in both spot and spill are phenomenal. The same can be said of the PM6 lithium beam.

Of course, the PM6 led will not throw as far as the Scorpion. However, the PM6 lithium is about equal to the Scorpion- both excellent.