Streamlight TT 1L bulb in MiniM*g 2AA--.3A v .95A

Theo

Newly Enlightened
I was fooling around the other night and found that the xenon bulb for a Streamlight Twin-Task 1-L bulb drops into the socket of a Minim*g 2-AA. (You would have to drill out the reflector to make it fit in the bezel; there is plenty of clearance from the 'lens')

It was significantly brighter than the stock M*g bulb.

Question: Is this viable for use? Since both lights are for a nominal 3 volts, is the Streamlight bulb pulling more current? (I don't have a decent set of leads for my multimeter to test this). If so, how will this affect battery life?

As an aside, the bulb from a Streamlight TT 2-D light has the same brighness level on the Minim*g as the TT 1-L bulb, but it is too large to fit "under the hood" of the Minim*g.

-------------------------------------

Well, did the research. The MM bulb pulls 300 MA, the TT bulb 950 MA.

I guess that answers that. Run time will be significantly shorter, but it might be a viable option if you need the extra light, and use the Costco bulk packs of AA's (which are pretty good, btw).

Theo

Techmedic

Enlightened
I would say that this is viable for use - with NiMH cells. The slightly lower voltage 2.4V vs. 3.0V which I might add will drop like a rock, passing the nominal voltage of 2.4V for NiMH cells real quick. Meaning it will get dim (yellow) rather quickly because alkalines hate delivering that much power at once. NiMH's will handle the job much better. Give it a try with NiMH's and do let us know how it works.
Oh BTW, do you need to drill the mag reflector to close the light up? If so, then this is a minor mod that most people would do in a jiffy.