NO spare parts from Inova.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is an email exchange I had recently with Laurie Sabella , cust. service rep at Inova, about purchasing a T1 style clickie tailswitch for my Inova X0:

> To: <[email protected]>
> Subject: FW: T1 switch
>
> Hi Laurie:
>
> Can I purchase a T1 switch from you? How much would it be?
>
> Thanks,
> sotto on CPF

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, December 09, 2004 8:25 AM
To: sotto
Subject: Re: T1 switch

Sotto:

We don't sell "parts" for our lights.

Thank you.
--
Laurie Sabella
Emissive Energy Corporation
135 Circuit Drive
No. Kingstown, RI 02852
401-294-2030 x 212
401-294-2050 Fax
[email protected]
www.inovalight.com

>To: <[email protected]>
> Subject: FW: T1 switch

>OK Laurie. That's too bad. I'll pass the word along to the folks on Candlepower Forums (CPF) who will be very interested to know this. I know there are thousands of people on that forum who've purchased lights from your company. Personally, I have purchased 12 of your lights(totalling hundreds of dollars), sometimes in all the LED colors available. It would be a very good service to return this loyalty to your customers by doing them a small favor such as allowing them to purchase a new tailswitch. This of course would be consistent with good will and excellent customer relations and support, a common topic of conversation among "flashaholics" on CPF. I hope your company will have an opportunity to consider this gesture toward a group of individuals who have supported your company with their dollars and their words, recommending others to purchase Inova lights. Other companies offer to sell tailswitches and other accessories as you know.

Thanks,
sotto on CPF

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
There WERE some reports that Inova would sell clickie tailcaps for $20.

That's a sharp blow for my appreciation of the Inova CS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
greenlight said:
What did you expect?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing really, except possibly a courteous explanation?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

RonnieBarlow

Enlightened
You ask a question, she answers, and you're angry?

Why?

Perhaps you should actually ask her why Emissive Energy doesn't sell parts instead of immediately telling her you're disappointed, etc., etc. Give her a chance to be "customer friendly." If her answer is unsatisfactory, then perhaps tell her you're going to expose her shocking behavior.

Sheesh. I've dealt with her several times (both by mail and phone) and she's been nothing but professional and courteous.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
WallaceD and Reptilezs:

Yes, perhaps I over-reacted. I thought others on CPF would be interested in Inova's position.

Laurie's reply above was actually in response to my 4th inquiry with the same request. The first time I inquired if they would sell me a T1 switch in titanium finish: reply--"we don't make a titanium one" or something to that effect.

My second email then was "how about a black one then?" L's reply: "Is your switch broken?"

My third email: "No, but I'd like one for my X0. Will it fit and work?"
No reply from Laurie this time.

My 4th email: As originally posted above.

I have to say I was surprised that it took 4 emails to get a "no" out of Inova.

JJHitt

Enlightened
I've run into a very similar response from another manufacturer (TooLLogic); I suspect that some manufacturers just aren't modder-friendly. Possibly because they feel it will create warrenty issues.

mapson

Enlightened
From the manufacturers POV, perhaps, liability issues as well as warranty issues.

flashking

Newly Enlightened
I would like to see what she replies with this time, I was upset with the way she handled your request. She could have said it much better than the way she did. I don't think you overreacted at all if I got that reply I'd be upset too. That was a very snobby like response.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I sent a nice email, asking why?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Blades

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
a nice worded email goes a long way, instead of (i think) a threatening email /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif (edit: i meant your reply, btw)

maybe it is better to ask, what if my switch is broken? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gerber doesn't give out spare parts either. They require you to ship the unit in. I'm sure there are others, too.

On one hand you would like to get the parts you need. On the other hand, you have a functioning company that will replace/repair your product for you. You could be ordering spare parts and be building the flashlights at home, or even worse, making hybrid lights with their parts.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
greenlight said:
You could be ordering spare parts and be building the flashlights at home, or even worse, making hybrid lights with their parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

That appears to be the intent here, so it's hardly a surprise that they don't sell parts.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
[ QUOTE ]
greenlight said:
You could be ordering spare parts and be building the flashlights at home, or even worse, making hybrid lights with their parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

That appears to be the intent here, so it's hardly a surprise that they don't sell parts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? As my email post says, I requested to buy one T1 tailswitch (and in an earlier email said it was for my X0). I wonder how many others here on CPF would be interested in the nice T1 clickie tailcap on their X0's. It does work. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The problem with keeping spare parts is when you do sell them you have to stock them and overproduce parts to have spare ones. Some companies don't do spare parts they just cannibalize returned lights that are replaced with new ones for parts or give people a new light. It is easier and cheaper than having to inventory and stock a warehouse full of extra parts for a continuing line of lights that keep growing. Sooner or later you end up with a bunch of obsolete spare parts nobody wants.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I bought my Inova X-1 I also bought another one in case
there ever was an issue with parts, so far so good I use it
all the time around the house and have had no problems with
it so far