A possible luxeon copy

DCarlton

Newly Enlightened
Hello, this is my first post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I was just looking for any luxeons in the UK on ebay.co.uk and stumbled across this item:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20706&item=4343390193&rd=1

It looks like a copy of the LS, available in 1W and 3W versions.

Here is the address of the data sheet for the 3W.
http://www.led-bulbs.com/html/prolight/3W.pdf

Have I uncovered a copy!! My apologies if this is a legitimate re-branded lux, or a new product but i have not heard of one yet, thought it best to bring it to everyone's attention.

Thanks Daniel

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF!

Interesting finding.. it looks like they even ripped off LumiLEDs datasheet for the Luxeon and changed the part numbers (PXHL instead of LXHL). The lingo and even the binning is all the same!

Without a physical sample it'd be hard to say, but it looks very close. I've never heard of "prolight" either.

evan9162

Flashlight Enthusiast
The datasheet looks like an exact copy of a Lumileds data sheet (minus the purple color scheme).

Hell, they're even using the same binning structure and values!!!!

This is interesting. It could be a Chinese clone trying to mimic everything about Luxeons.

AdamW

Newly Enlightened
I've been waiting for this. If it is a Chinese clone at close to the same quality, there's gonna be lots of 3W LED's in my life, especially if they're cheap!!!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DCarlton said:
It looks like a copy of the LS, available in 1W and 3W versions.

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to CPF - great first post!

JFYI - there has also been a couple of discussions about a "star" Luxeon clone,
the photo looks similar to the illustration -

Luxeon clone

MXDL 3Watt "Luxeon" 3AAA from eBay

DCarlton

Newly Enlightened
Ok I missed those threads sorry, thanks Vincent they were good reading, Great pictures Waion of the 'clone'.
With regards to the 'clone' pic, lookes like IMHO an emitter has been handsoldered on to a PCB evedent by:

1) Tabs of the emitter not sitting on the pads squarely.
2) The power connection pads are still copper in colour. (Rare to see Cu left on a machine produced board)
3) A very poor looking solder joint, the solder has not flown propperly and is not very shiny like a good solder joint, maybe someone didn't want to destroy the die with temp!! Teething problems maybe...

I suppose only good can come of the clones, i.e. forcing future electronics to drop prices and lumileds to work harder on getting higher luminescent outputs!!!!!

I just hope there is a real LS in my U2 when it arrives!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LED-FX

Enlightened
10 quid for a 3W er clone, but thanks for the link intriguing,not exactly cheaper, picture of actual product would be more encouraging as well.

lets try and run through all the Luxeon competitors and copys at the moment, Lumileds do not have the 1W+ market to themselves any longer.

Osram Golden Dragon:

http://www.osram-os.com

UFO LED, various suppliers:

http://www.quickar.com/kufo.php

Cotco Dorado

http://www.cotco.com/news/news_press.htm

Ones can think of off hand.
People got others to add to the list?

Adam

Stellatus

Newly Enlightened
Hello, Everyone

I work for Stellatus Lighting and I am proud to bring you the ProLight 1W, 3W, 5W LED emitters. I have included images of the 1W version for your review. There is also a price reduction. 1/3 off the normal price. The 5W version is due in 2-3 weeks pre-order now.

1W = £4.00
3W = £7.00
5W = £16.00

1W.JPG

side.JPG

back.JPG

Best Regards

All

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Stellatus said:
Hello, Everyone

I work for Stellatus Lighting and I am proud to bring you the ProLight 1W, 3W, 5W LED emitters. I have included images of the 1W version for your review. There is also a price reduction. 1/3 off the normal price. The 5W version is due in 2-3 weeks pre-order now.

1W = £4.00
3W = £7.00
5W = £16.00

1W.JPG

side.JPG

back.JPG

Best Regards

All

[/ QUOTE ]

how about sending some samples to someone like craig at led musuem?

Raccoon

Enlightened
I'm suprised if there are no patent issues. Lumileds should still have several more years before anyone can copy their research and technology.

How is a company to profit if they have to do both production AND research, while everyone else just duplicates?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I dug around for Stellatus Lighting and came up with these:

This appears to be their homepage

Prolight page, linked from previous

Data sheets: 1W 3W 5W

Domain WHOIS (abbreviated):
[ QUOTE ]
Whois info for, led-bulbs.com:

Registrant:
Stellatus Lighting

Domain name: LED-BULBS.COM

Registrar of Record: TUCOWS, INC.
Record last updated on 12-Mar-2004.
Record expires on 31-Oct-2008.
Record created on 31-Oct-2002.

Domain servers in listed order:
NS10.SERVDNS.COM 216.91.137.15
NS3.EASYPOST.COM 62.128.193.206

Domain status: ACTIVE

[/ QUOTE ]

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I obtained two different clones none of them come close to the output power of a Lumileds Luxeon, easily distinguished with bare eyes. I believe they are all dragon LED die variants.

Having said that, these clones will be competitive and drive Luxeon prices down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif and make Lumileds financial life hard slowing down LED research /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

LED-FX

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
make Lumileds financial life hard slowing down LED research

[/ QUOTE ]

Lumileds are an Agilent, formerly known as Hewlett Packard and Phillips joint venture. Really don`t see them running out of R&D cash anytime soon.

Would agree that the Prolight models look like they may be Golden Dragon based going by the circular shape of the phosphor blob.

The MXDL torches with what people reckon is a clone,have hexagonal shaped phosphor blob very similar to a Luxeon.

Philips are one of the big three lighting companies that have been the big three since electric light was new. Osram and GE are the other 2.

Osram have their hat in the ring with the Golden Dragon, sure that GE or GElcore, GE`s opto electronics division have something coming up.

There are also newer players to market with differnt approaches, Norlux, born from Uniroyal the tyre maker, and Lamina spring to mind.

Competition will drive prices down but will also speed research as companies stretch to stay ahead.

Remember when the only white LEDs came from Nichia and the cost....

Bit like running the 4 minute mile , once somone has done it many others find the ability to do it.

Exciting times.

Adam

Emanuel

Newly Enlightened
First there is a parallel thread with the same subject.
Luxeon is a Lumileds technology; I agree it makes a giant step in the last 8 years trend of shifting the LED technology from indicators to illuminators.

But Lumileds/Agilent/HP/Philips can not remain such a monopoly for ever. Osram/Sylvania/Siemens as well as others like Stanley are working on high power LEDs for years.

What we don't know is that there are many technologies, some of them revolutionary invented in the former USSR which remain unknown because such mega corporations or joint ventures of the giants are simply buying for pieces of money any new technology and they keep it there until the time is right. Nobody can't even imagine what wonderful technologies are kept secret because the marketing feels the cow may still be milked with the old ones.
Just an example not related to LED, for whoever remembers Bolder, inventors of the TMF cell….where are they? Well, kept in the safes of GP battery. Why? Because this technology could revolutionize the whole industry and it is not yet the time to do that. Why not selling Lithiums and others with all the chargers and related components if the market is happy with them?

Lumileds – isn't it them who released a product which was far from being finished - just to remind everyone the famous 5W story??? And it is us who buy whatever they choose to sell, when to sell and most important at what price and then tolerate excuses. I want to see a smaller company doing something like that and remaining in business.

The emerging alternative technologies are called competition and from my point of view they serve a good purpose: this will be the only way to bring down from the high tree the guys at Lumileds and the others at Future. If there was any patent problem Lumileds would long ago stand on their rear feet, just as Nichia did a few years ago. The UFO LEDs are on the market for at least 2 years, only now became more popular on the internet.

The first to make them were Korean factories followed during the last year by Chinese. My guess is the technology originates from the former USSR and is not the same as Lumileds.

One thing is for sure....I am more than happy with this development and if everybody will see the picture at full, it will bring only advantages. Let's not be sorry for the R&D invested by Lumileds, they have played deep enough inside our pockets for the last 4 years and they will continue to do so for at least one more year and even when they will eventually drop the prices it will be only Future's pockets to be smaller, right now they make the big $$$.

shifty646

Newly Enlightened
Good insight Emanuel.
I have also heard similar stories regarding the USSR, some of them have been confirmed.
And I was aware of corporations withholding technological breakthroughs, some due to the government wanting a first go at it, and some because the "consumer" as a whole is very gullible and unintelligent. But this is changing for the better.

Stellatus

Newly Enlightened
Hello All

I have been assured that the Prolight LED has its own patented packaging technology and does not infringe on Lumileds patents, so maybe a change to the treads title may be required. I have also updated the datasheets for the 1W and 3W versions. We are looking into ship the Prolight LEDs to other countries. How do these prices compare like for like to Lumileds Luxeon star in the USA. Any comments are welcomed.

Best Regards

Stellatus

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stellatus, what is the advantage of buying the Prolight? Is it as bright as a Lux? Is it compatible from a drop-in replacement standpoint. Does it have advantages over a Lux or is it a simple match to a Lux? Is the price a match or lower?

Is there a way you could get a beam shot of a Prolight next to a Lux so we could see an indicator of beam and tint? Personally, I don't like green tints. Any other color but green is OK.

How does the light handle being over and underdriven? How does the Prolight react to being overdriven? How is the light tint when it is underdriven?

I would hope for Prolight to at least match the Lux. LED lights are in their infancy stage right now in the public point of view. The worst thing that could happen is to give the public an inferior product. If the public shys away from the bad product it would take a long time to get them back.

I'm not saying the Prolight is bad- not at all. We are all just curious at a new product...and very impatient with answers (a least I get that way).

Stellatus, we need to get these Prolights to people that can give them an unbiased try out.

Stellatus

Newly Enlightened
Hello All,

Who do you recommended in the forum I should forward a few samples of the Prolight emitters too in order to give the most further testing, unbiased opinion and quick test results for the benefit of the Forum.

Best Regards

Stellatus