mag-lux III question

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys.
Curiosity is killing me. I have parts comming for my first attempt at modding. Parts from the Shoppe are 4-5 days away and Christmas is this weekend, so I probably won't get to play till next week /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif....

Anyway. I plan on doing the typical mag 2C mod. I've read hundreds of posts and I think I'm finally ready.

So here's my question:
It seems obvious that the beam will be whiter, and much cleaner with the lux (I'll be using a twok). But what about throw ? This little mag throws impressively well even with the stock bulb.
Can somone describe how it will throw in comparison to stock? The led certainly puts out more light, but can it be focused as tightly? Does it thow as far or farther?

Thanks guys. My girlfriend said if I don't stop talking about that "stupid thing" Santa won't be visiting me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

I can hardly wait till next week to find out for my self, so any info you could lend my way would be truely wonderfull. (Please save my sanity and my Christmas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Thanks in advance.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got 330 yards in bright moonlight with the one featured in the Cookbook, limited only by my test target. idleprocess got even further, 400+ I recall. Yes, you can tighten up the focus to a real pinpoint, which I did prior to lighting up. Since I don't have any stock mags, no comparison was made.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I take it that you're using two C cells and the Badboy boost converter? What current are you driving at? My test was done at 750mA, just a little bit over nominal rated specs.

All the best with your mod, let us know how it turned out. I'm really coming to love the C-cell formfactor, the Ds are just too big.

tequilathursday

Newly Enlightened
Hi Kevin,
Sounds great. I'm actually planning to use 3 123's and a downboy 1000. Unless thats a bad idea. I can't take a look at your cookbook lately. Something is wrong with my pc and if I click on any links it boots me off the internet. And it won't let me in the control panel either. I can't even use Graemlins from this reply page. Ugh!

Thank's for the info. 300+ yrds sounds awesome. I also love the mag2c form factor.

When I get to work on monday I will print up some pages from the cookbook. (insert smiley here).

Cool I can't wait.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Build yourself a Mag2C DB917 running on 3xCR123 or 2xPila150A batteries. Great throw!
Even your girlfriend will be impressed by that "stupid thing"! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/str.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tequilathursday said:
Hi Kevin,
Sounds great. I'm actually planning to use 3 123's and a downboy 1000. Unless thats a bad idea. I can't take a look at your cookbook lately. Something is wrong with my pc and if I click on any links it boots me off the internet. And it won't let me in the control panel either. I can't even use Graemlins from this reply page. Ugh!

Thank's for the info. 300+ yrds sounds awesome. I also love the mag2c form factor.

When I get to work on monday I will print up some pages from the cookbook. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif .

Cool I can't wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been there and done that already.
Have a look at my dec. signature line to get a preview of what your light will do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Smiley inserted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It looks like you found a good way to get your money's worth out of 123 batteries. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You may also be able to find help for your computer in the CAFE forum too.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
teq, sounds like your PC needs a major fixup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3xCR123 and a DB1000 is nice - 1000mA (1A) is quite a lot of power and I think you will find it nice and bright. I was certainly impressed the day I lit mine up for the first time. Good for around 3-4 hours of light on a Lux3.

If you love throw this is really the light to have. The only thing I have that compares to it is Surefire's KT series turboheads!

I should really take that 4D for a walk one of these days /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif