What Does "Bin" Mean?

Ken_McE

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Does \"Bin\" Mean?

Can anyone explain this "bin" business, what "bin" means, how you read the codes, why it matters???

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

chevrofreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: What Does \"Bin\" Mean?

The term "bin" refers to the definition of the word, which is basically a storage or sorting box. Each bin is for an object, in this case an LED emitter or star, that has certain attributes, such as color, brightness, among other things. Things are sorted into bins so that the qualities you are looking for in something can be picked according to the bin number The bin with the most desirable features is usually the rarest of them all, and thus the most expensive. Flashlights like the inexpensive 2AA 1w luxeon pair from Costco use bins from all ends of the quality range, many people call this the "luxeon lottery", you can get a really white, bright light, or a rotten cat **** green color that isnt terribly bright, or blue, or yellow, and so on.

I dont know about reading the bin codes though, sorry.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast

I recently recieved a whole bunch of stars from someone I know (THANK YOU!) and I asked him what the first letters on the back meant. The ones that I had had Q as the first letter. It is like the letters of the alphabet in order. The highest quality at the end IIRC. That is why some people say things like T bins, X bins, and so on. I dont know too much about bins overall since I am still new to the world of Luxeons and LEDs. Oh yeah, there is a number after the bin which indicates the color. The person who sent the stars to me told me that 1=green, 2=yellow, 3=white, 4=blue, 5=purple. It seems to me that the first 3 letters are the most important on the back of the star.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

If ya'll get any x bins those are very bad . The x means "scratch" . You should send them to me to be recycled. I'll send you a few dollars for doing a public service.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

maybe someone needs to bin the posts about binning.. you think?