AA NiMH charger choice: Ripvan100, Maha or Vanson?

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
I need another AA NiMH charger to meet the power requirements of my family's newly acquired Christmas presents.

I already have an Accupower Accumanager 20 charger. (BTW, if you are considering a universal charger, I highly recommend it. I would also recommend looking at the inexpensive Vanson Universal Battery Charger which has the same housing but different electronics, or the high-end Ansmann Energy 8 Charger. I should also mention the hulking Ansmann Energy 16 Charger, truly the Hummer of chargers.)

I have a cheapo Energizer 30 minute AA/AAA charger, which makes the batteries uncomfortably warm. I have distrusted it ever since it cooked a new pair of 1000mAH AAA batteries, to the point that the wrappers shrivelled. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I've looked into various smart chargers for AA and AAA NiMHs. I'd prefer a charger with independent channels, since I am not conscientious/compulsive enough to keep track of matched pairs of batteries.

I've narrowed it down to several choices:

Ripvan100 Lightning Pack 4000N

Maha MH-C204W

Maha MH-C401FS

Vanson V-6000

I've found good reviews about the Lightning 4000N and the Maha chargers. I haven't found any rigorous, objective reviews about the Vanson.

I'm leaning towards the Maha MH-C401FS or the Vanson because they are capable of independently charging cells. The Maha MH-C204W is replete with bells and whistles, and would be the perfect charger for my purposes if only it had independent channels. The Vanson looks very interesting and is slightly less expensive, but I'm hesitant to purchase a "pig in a poke".

Could anybody share their personal experiences with these chargers?

Should I just ditch the "independent charging" requirement and go with the Maha MH-C204W? Does it make sense to purchase the Ripvan100 Lightning 4000N to keep my batteries cool and happy in the charger, only to make them hot and unhappy in a hotwire flashlight?

Am I overlooking some other charger that I should be considering?

Other reviews I found in my search:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/digi_accessories.html

http://www.crypto.com/chargers/

http://search.freefind.com/find.html?id=8176159&pageid=r&mode=ALL&n=0&query=charger&SUBMIT=Go

Vanson V-6000 better than Ripvan100 4000N?

Skyline

Enlightened
Note that the Maha MH-C204W has only two independent charging circuits. You really want the more advanced Maha MH-C401FS that has four independent charging circuits. I've got a 401 and I love it!

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
Re: AA NiMH charger choice: Ripvan100, Maha or Van

Maha might dispute you on the "more advanced" description for the 401FS. The 204W has some sort of new four-stage charging process and a conditioning feature, is compatible with international power sources, and controls shutoff based upon negative/zero delta V, temperature, and a timer.

Maha Charger information

How hot do the batteries get on fast charge mode in the 401FS?

BTW, I forgot to mention in the original post that another plus for the 401FS is the 12V DC plug for use in the car.

The Vanson is intriguing. It's got 4 independent channels, a 12V DC car charger, and several fast charge cutoff modes (negative delta V, temperature, timer). Almost seems to good to be true...

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love my Maha C204F...except for only having two channels. If I have to buy another charger it will definately be a 401.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have the Maha 401FS and the RipVan. The 401 is nice for independent channels, like if you use 3 cells for a Talkabout, or if one cell is for some reason discharged a bit differently. The wall wart is bulky. I haven't seen what I'd call excessive heat on fast charge mode (unlike with the Rayovac 1 hour) but the cells do get very warm.

The Ripvan seems to work fine, but does require pairs (and I guess assumes they are discharged similarly). It is reasonably fast, and very compact - great for travelling. Mine broke its discharge feature soon after arrival, but the charge function seems OK.

I am guessing from the reviews that either works fine especially if left to charge overnight.

Skyline

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Hookd_On_Photons said:
Maha might dispute you on the "more advanced" description for the 401FS.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can choose to absorb the hype, or draw your own conclusions instead. If you do a search, the majority (myself included) prefer the 401FS. The 204W has four stages, but its two channels are definitely not as good as four channels. Also, Maha has indicated that while the 204W may have more advanced software (due to four stages), the 401FS is their best AA/AAA NiMH charger.

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-compare-maha-nimh-aa-aaa-battery-chargers.htm

If you are charging two batteries in the 204W, you're hitting the cells with 2000mA! With four batteries, it's 1000mA. You cannot charge one or three batteries at a time, nor can you charge NiCD batteries. The 401FS gives you an option of fast (1000mA for AA, 500mA for AAA) or slow (300mA for AA/AAA), one to four batteries, NiMH or NiCD.

Also, it's interesting that the 401FS is more expensive than the 204W.

It's just my two cents -- you should purchase whichever you wish.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, im not a nimh guru, but my little vanson speedy box is so very simple to use, and it is supposedly a 4 channel.

my wife even likes it.

makes the bats warm, but not hot...and has lights that are red while charging, and green when done. a nice touch.

Bob

Al

Enlightened

Check out the "less paid attention to": "GT" charger from MAHA. I have been using one of these in a commercial 24/7 application for the last two years ... no problems and original batteries (8 AA cells). Same technology as the 401FS, but two circuits instead of four and gentler charge.

BTW, don't same capacity undamaged cells tend to balance out when charged in parallel?

http://www.thomasdistributing.com/mh-compare-maha-nimh-aa-aaa-battery-chargers.htm

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use the Ripvan 100 on the road since it is more compact (1 item vs 2 in the bag) and use the 204F at home. I think the 204F is slightly kinder on batteries than the Ripvan is. If I were buying another it would be the 401 since I end up with the odd battery on occasion.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Skyline said:
You can choose to absorb the hype, or draw your own conclusions instead. If you do a search, the majority (myself included) prefer the 401FS.
It's just my two cents -- you should purchase whichever you wish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put! Sometimes hype is very persuasive. Fortunately, forums like CPF exist where real-life users can exchange their opinions.

Thank you very much for your input.

I found another Vanson charger that looks quite interesting, but I can't find any retailers that carry it.

Vanson V-3150 charger

Skyline

Enlightened

The Vanson V-3150 doesn't look to be as good as the V-6000. The thing that bothers me about the V-3150 is that it has different charge times when you put in 1-2 batteries versus 3-4 batteries. This means the current varies based on how many batteries you put in. I don't think this is good. Also, it has one dual-led lamp (two colors?). You really should have four dual-color leds to monitor each channel.

Looking at the V-6000 some more, it claims to charge in 1 hour, but doesn't specifically state the charge current. It's probably 2000mA -- too much in my book.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened

Skyline: but the Maha 204W also has two different charge times if it's loaded with 2 (60 minutes) or 4 (120 minutes) batteries. And its charge current is specified at 2000mA.

Well, it looks like the front runner is the Maha 401FS. Maybe I'll get a Lightning 4000N to stick in the camera bag.

Aren't there *any* Vanson V-6000 owners out there?

Skyline

Enlightened

Right: the 204W charges at 2000mA for two batteries in one hour, or 1000mA for four batteries for two hours. Also, there's no consideration for whether it's AA or AAA. This is why I don't like the 204W either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

MoonRise

Enlightened
Maha401FS.

Four independent channels that can independently take AA or AAA cells, NiCad or NiMH. Red light on a channel when charging, green light when that channel is charged.

Wal-wart or car plug to power it. It can charge in fast or slow mode (hence the FS in the name). Need to slam some juice into some cells quickly? Use fast mode. Not in a hurry? Put the cells in and let them charge overnight or for 24 hours and they will be about as fully charged as they can be.

In fast mode the cells get warm, in slow mode they barely get warm. I use slow mode a lot.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

Another vote for the 401. Cells get pretty warm on fast mode, but MAHA claims that it's still cooler than the older 204. I use fast mode primarily, but I also run a fan on them.

I've got a 204 that has hardly been used - I have more confidence in the 401.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned - the 401 has a lifetime warranty.