Help finding new Energizer flashlight?

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
try www.ndsproducts.com. They sell the Energizer line. They don't show it listed but it wouldn't hurt to give them a call. Also try buying directly from Eveready/Energizer. I have ordered non-stock items from Brightguy before. Like PT Rages before he listed them. And long burn Krill. You won't get it overnight. But I'm pretty sure he won't substitute a Double Barrel.

What a bummer with Costco.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

Brock

Flashaholic
I think you can order right from Energizer also, I have never tried it, but at least they will have the light.

Brock

D

**DONOTDELETE**

you could always find out what shipping is and have someone send you one (someone that lives near a walmart) it might be cheaper than going through energizer direct?!@?!?!?!? i dont know, but id be happy to do it for you.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Does anyone know who carries the new Energizer "Arc White" 4AA dual fluorescent/spot flashlight? I know that Wal*Mart stocks them, but not online and there are no Wal*Mart stores in my area. In the LED/EL section of this forum, another poster has pictures of this unit which looks pretty cool. A word of caution: Costco.com has it on their website, and I was stupid enough to place an order with them. They sent me an Energizer double barrel instead and claimed that they have the right to substitute with an item of equal value/functionality when the product you order is not available. This is no where even close to what I ordered. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. I've already contacted Brightguy.com and he couldn't help me as he has no suppliers of the Energizer line.

Regards
Edwood

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
Well, after a few phone call to costco, seems like their pick list at the warehouse needed correcting. I just received my arc white today. Their price of 23 bucks was for a bundled pack of one double barrel and an arc white. When I rec'd the shipment, the packing slip didn't indicate that anything was backordered, it was marked complete. Anyway in summary, after phoning in the third time, I got a rep who actually looked it up on their website and realized that they had goofed. Since they made good for the error, I retract my earlier cautionary statement.

Regards
Ed

Mike

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

I'm interested in that energizer arc white light. Is that florescent bulb very useful? Seems like a good idea to me. Is it bright enough to use as a walking light in the dark?

How much do they cost at Walmart?

Thanks!

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
They're about $11 and change. I've only seen them at Wal Mart so far. They illuminate about 4'-5' radius. If you have good vision, slightly further away. And if isn't enough light you can always use the flashlight part. I think it would be awkward to hold for flourescent lighting while walking. It is more for placing on a flat surface and illuminating an area like a tent.

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DavidW:
I think it would be awkward to hold for flourescent lighting while walking. It is more for placing on a flat surface and illuminating an area like a tent.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This flashlight also does very well illuminating a small to medium-sized room.
The balance seems to be a little funny; it is easy to knock over, but it will stand up and stay put if you keep the kids away.
smile.gif

After warmup, this one seems brighter than other 4 AA fluorescents. Not only is the tube itself brighter, but its overall light output is higher. The area around the tube's lens warms up pretty quickly, so I wonder what kind of current draw the CCFT inverter is imposing on the batteries. Anyone who has a multimeter should be able to measure this easily by removing the battery cover and putting the test probes on the exposed battery ends - my meter was broken during a recent burglary so I can no longer test in this manner.
frown.gif

I like this light so far, even though it isn't LED.
smile.gif

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

------------------

Brock

Flashaholic
Hey craig
smile.gif
The fluorescent part was pulling about 320mA (after 1 minute) and the lamp itself was pulling about 530mA. So assuming standard alakline AA's (2850mA) it should run about 4 good hours, I wonder if the inverter maintains a voltage or if it drops as the voltage drops, that would be nice since most are hard on the tubes if run on weak batteries?

Brock - http://www.uwgb.edu/nevermab/led1.htm

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
Hey craig
smile.gif
The fluorescent part was pulling about 320mA (after 1 minute) and the lamp itself was pulling about 530mA. I wonder if the inverter maintains a voltage or if it drops as the voltage drops,
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All high voltage inverters that I am aware of drop off more or less linearly with the input voltage. The output current availability will be first to suffer, then the high voltage itself will begin to sag as well. :X

Don Klipstein (http://www.misty.com/~don/index.html) is the local guru on fluorescent lighting technology, and may be more well-equipped to answer this question than I am.

But how I understand the technology, when an ordinary fluorescent lamp is operated below its normal parameters, cathode sputtering, mercury condensation, and other nasty side effects can occur which ultimately cause degradation and premature failure of the lamp.

Since the tube in the Arc White is a CCFT (Cold Cathode Fluorescent Tube - it does not use heated cathodes) this problem may not be as bad as it might be in a flashlight using a conventional large-bore, hot cathode fluorescent lamp.

FYI: the tube in the Arc-White flashlight is the same basic type of lamp that is used to backlight the LCD screens of laptop computers, the monitors on digital cameras & camcorders, and miniature television sets.

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net

------------------

Brock

Flashaholic
The Arc White CCFT is really bright, I sould say it is brighter then a 13w 120vac compact flourescent. I would guess it is very effecient also. It does only light a little more then 270 degrees, but works great for an area light, very even lighting.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brock:
The Arc White CCFT is really bright, I sould say it is brighter then a 13w 120vac compact flourescent<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Usually these small CCFT have a lower efficiency than warm cothode ones. The tiny ones have efficiencies as low as 20lm/W, As usual, longer tubes have better efficiencies.
Also the converters I know are pretty simple and work as constant current devices (when lit). The tube's working voltage is 'dictated' by the tube, so it could not change much.
A usual 13W fluorescent light gives some 700lm, your CCFT's ballast (usually simple flyback converter with a carefully set resonance) takes below 2W (according to the data give above). hmm...
BTW, it would be good to use a true RMS meter to check current here...