U2 tail cap problem

mokona2

Enlightened
My friend and I just received our U2s and his is giving him trouble. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Basically the tailcap is:
1. very sensitive to pressure (comes on easily)
2. consistently sticks in the on position when pressed completely.

Should my friend:
1. Call SF CS and hope to just ship back the tail cap?
2. Attempt to remove the tail cap mechanism and attempt to fix it myself? If so, how would one go about this?

I've offered to let my friend borrow my U2 while he ships his back for repairs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

cy

Flashaholic
you need to call surfire, customer service are very nice folks. they've been know to send out a tailcap.

gessner17

Enlightened
I had the same problem, surefire sent me a new one, although they were backordered and it took 2 weeks and the color is quite a mismatch, but it works alot better now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened
I just got one too and it does the same thing. Glad I saw that I'm not the only one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I did hit the lux lotto though! My L4 was/is very bright and white with slight blueish tint but my U2 just blows it away! U2 also just a hint towards blue. Basically same tints just much more light.

Mark2

Enlightened
My tailcap is bad, too. Surefire promised to send a replacement a few weeks ago, but it didn't show up yet. The tint of my U2 is just perfect, if they had asked me to send back the whole light, I would have refused. There is no way I'm going to part with that nice Luxeon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RayT

Newly Enlightened
My tailcap on my U2 also has some problems. The light sometimes refuses to turn off and I have to click a few times to get the light to turn off. The light has also come on by itself on a couple of times so I have the tailcap in the lockout position.

However, I am very pleased with the light from the U2. Nice white beam, very close in color to my L4.

I too would not send the light back and risk an offcolor light. I would much rather that SF send a replacement cap.

I will wait as I think there are some problems in the cap and that current replacements may suffer the same problems. SF needs to make some modifications to the cap before I will request a replacement.

luxlover

Banned
Mark2,
Why allow SF to keep you hanging for weeks. Call the person who promised to send you the replacement tailcap, and ask what is the status of your warranty issue. There is no reason that a company who claims to have "world class customer service" is making you wonder what has happened with your request. Taking the initiative has always worked for me, when other methods have failed. Let us know what they tell you!

By the way, I like the fact that your U2 is so fine that you will not part with it. Good move, since if you did send it back to SF, you would probably get a "Rainbow Brite tutti frutti" colored tint on the replacement. Stick to your guns!

gessner17

Enlightened
FYI, I think SF modified the new tailap I got, the button seems stiffer and doesn't push sideways like my old one does. My old one you could push on it sideways and it woudl turn on and sometimes not turn off, it feels like there are some sort of guides under the rubber now. 100% better.

mokona2

Enlightened
gessner17, I think I may have an updated tailcap like what you've described. Mine has no sideways play and is more stiff than my friend's U2. Maybe something was missed during assembly?

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine will push sideways some, but it doesn't turn on from it. It's probably just some variations due to manufacturing tolerances.

Glad it's working now gessner17!

gessner17

Enlightened
IS there a way I can unscrew the actual switch out? I like my old one much better, it matches my unit perfect!!