ElectroLumens vs. Streamlight

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
ElectroLumens vs. Streamlight

I want to spend about $100 on LED flashlights and get about 3 of them, a full size 2 or 3-D, then a 2AA and maybe another one, like 3AA.

I am thinking about Streamlight flashlights, they have all 3 of these units. There are lots on ebay. But I recently saw ElectroLumens, they seem nice too. What's a better investment and quality, how does that 2D StreamLight compare to Blaster 3P?

And how does MX-3 compare to JR LUXEON?

What about Lightwave 4000, another 3D?

It seems like with 2AA LEd, MX-3 is the way to go, but not sure about a bigger one using D batteries.
I want to stay away from uncommon and expensive lithium batteries, and use AA and D.

My final question is, where can I get a package deal on 2 or 3 lights instead of getting each one separately?

MikeLip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ElectroLumens vs. Streamlight

Both Streamlight and Elektrolumens are terrific lights. Both are very well made and functional.

The 3P outperforms my 2D task light by a country mile. It cna also drive nails, I suspect.

I am also extremely pleased with my SL Jr Luxeon. Beats the livin' heck out of Mags! A light you can rely on. Bright, clean beam. Mine is extremely white. I have lights that cost many times what the Streamlight did, but don't have a good a tint.

Mike

Ratso

Enlightened

The Blaster 3P is in a class of its own. There is no production D cell LED lights that can touch the Blaster series, in output and quality. The Blaster is series is like the Mag-Lite of LED lights, but with much better output and runtime. The Lightwave and Streamlight only use 5mm LED's. They do not come close to the Blaster in throw and brightness.

You may want check out the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon for your AA light. The JR. is smaller and lighter, and also more refined than the XM-3. The XM-3 is overbuilt and unpolished, designed to be a tool rather than an instrument. Both are quality lights, but the Jr. is lighter, smaller, and sleeker, while the XM-3 is incredibly rugged and solid.

Both have similar outputs, with the XM-3 having longer run time (both lights are regulated). The XM-3 can also run nearly 5 hours with Lithium AAs.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Blaster 3P:

The Blaster series are different from most of the other Elektro-lumens flashlights in that it actually has relatively good fit and finish ( every other Elektrolumen model I own has mediocre or below fit and finish). Output is excellent for the size, switch is excellent, the only downside IMO is that beam quality is mediocre (good hotspot, but almost useless dim artifact filled corona). In its class (D-Cell flashlights), its probably the best out there. However, IMO overall I'd rate it as good, NOT excellent. I think changing the optics out for a reflector would probably change my rating to very good, but currently its not easy to do this mod.

I'd recommend it, but just don't expect premium all-around performance. The Blaster does a very good job for its price, but the current optics it uses give you a very limited beam (almost all throw, with poor artifact ridden corona).
--------------------------------

Streamlight Jr. Vs. XM3:

Tie. Both are good, neither are great.

The XM3 has well below mediocre fit and finish, with lots of scratches on the lens out of the box (2 of my 3 have this), many sharp edges that didn't get anodized correctly (all three have this), and even smooth surfaces with poor anodization (all three have this). Some threads are not cut well also (1 has this severely, the others mild to moderately), resulting in sloppy fit. The clip it comes with out-of-the-box sucks!! One of my clips came with a stripped screw, and the others are so tight that they are practically useless! The XM3 is clearly IMO lacking in construction quality, but it does have many strong areas to counter this:

Switch: outstanding for the class and price range. Tail cap rubber momentary switch is easy to use, and feels very well made IMO.

Beam quality: Very good combination of hotspot to corona with only slight to mild artifacts (centered on the outer edge of the hotspot).

Tint: Creamy off-white, good tint for its price class.

Strength: for the size of the light, lots of metal, built like a tank. Should hold up provided the heat sink is working well.

--------------------

Streamlight Jr. Luxeon:

Fit and finish is very good, tint is good to very good (near white--more white than the XM3). Beam quality is about average, maybe slightly above average. Hotspot is a little blotchy for my liking, and the corona has moderate amount of bands in it.

Switch is good, but not great. I don't care for the feel of the kroll setup, as it doesn't seem too sturdy. I think the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon is less sturdy than the XM3--just doesn't feel like a tank like the XM3 does.

There isn't inherently wrong with the Streamlight Jr. Luxeon, but IMO it just doesn't excel in any one area. It does everything fairly well, but doesn't have excellent performance in any areas to make it stand out.

--------------------

For the price, I'd say get one of each (XM3 and Streamlight Jr.). They're both good bangs for the buck, in their own little ways.

Dukester

Flashlight Enthusiast

My 357, pretty harsh on the JR LUX, after all it is a 25 - $31 light. It's regulation in my opinion is second to none, check out the reviews and the runtime plots, it is as flat as a pancake until it drops out of regulation. I don't think even SF is as good as that? IMHO it is a light with purpose.

Oh well, to each his own...

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Dukester said:
My 357, pretty harsh on the JR LUX, after all it is a 25 - $31 light. It's regulation in my opinion is second to none, check out the reviews and the runtime plots, it is as flat as a pancake until it drops out of regulation. I don't think even SF is as good as that? IMHO it is a light with purpose.

Oh well, to each his own...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I was harsh on the Jr. Lux. I like it very much, given its price and fit/finish quality. All I'm saying is that it isn't excellent in any one area. I did say that it has no major weaknesses, which is a good thing. I'd personally give it a solid score of 8 out of ten, which is a good score.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

well, i guess it is my turn to suggest the UK4AALED!
not the brightest in the world, but great build, inexpensive, and amazing runtime.

$20 + shipping from brightguy.

on topic: the streamlights are pretty nice--good bang-for-the-buck...not sure about the elektrolumens.

Bob

Ps forgot to add: with the UK, get an incan lamp assembly: the 2 watt is only about $6, the 4w is about $8.
this way, you have many choices!

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
pedalinbob said:
well, i guess it is my turn to suggest the UK4AALED!
not the brightest in the world, but great build, inexpensive, and amazing runtime.

$20 + shipping from brightguy.

on topic: the streamlights are pretty nice--good bang-for-the-buck...not sure about the elektrolumens.

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely agree about the UK 4aa eled. 11 hours of CONSTANT regulation, and every of mine has good tint and very good beam quality. Enough output to easily get around inside, and goes an okay job outside at close range.

Lightedge

Newly Enlightened

The Lightwave 4000 is a nice light. Very solid build. Keep in mind that multiple 5mm LED's will give you a nice flood but not much throw. The Streamlight Jr. LED is about as good of a Luxeon LED as I've seen for the money. The UK LED's are excellent but I like the Tektites even more. The build quality of the Tektites is excellent but they aren't particularly cheap. They make a couple of 2C models that I like and some multi 5mm LED's with 2AA's that are popular. I have quite a number of these lights on my website and am offering free shipping on orders over $75 if you enter the coupon 'CPF001'. I'll have the Streamlight Jr. LED's in stock late next week.

I hope that this helps. Good luck.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast

Welome to the Jungle, all the ElectroLumens and
Streamlight flashlights are very good, I think that ElectroLumens would get you more bang for your buck

oldtimer

Enlightened

Get the Streamlight. Big company=Better warranty.

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast

Elektrolumens Blaster 3. it's an absolutely unbeatable light. the output, runtime, simplicity, and feel of the light is absolutely uncanny, in my opinion. mine had a good tint considering i got it for under $40 in a pre-sale, the head could be removed to allow the luxeon to act like a very bright candle and it could stand on end, it ran forever--i think i only went thru 3 sets of batteries in all the time i owned it, and i used it for such things as hammering in nails that had come loose on floorboards, and one time straightning a friend's bent keys by laying the keys on flat concrete step and pounding it straight. it's one of the lights i reccomend most (and trusted most).

can't comment on the XM3, and i've only handled the Streamlight Jr luxeon briefly.

for an additional light, look @ the Underwater Kinetics 4AA eLED, the Gerber LX 3.0, or a simple EverLED, which is a bulb replacement for any PR-base flashlight, such as a Maglite. those are some of my most trusted lights, but i'd really reccomend after you get your working lights, that for your 3rd light you get something that you really find yourself attracted to. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*

I am very pleased with all my Electrolumens Tri Star Phaser most of all but the Anglelux and Snakeyes Anglelux have never let me down. I also am very pleased with my Sl lights mostly the SL T-3 and the NF-2 both are good choices IMHO
Topper

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm in line for a 3C M*gmod from 3rd-shift, sounds like a step up from a blaster.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast

So what's a good way to get ElektroLumens 3P? Directly from their web site?

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

Elektrolumen XM3- Good for low $
Same as StreamLight Jr.

But for a few $$ more, C size TriStar Phazer (ElektroLumen)
will out blaze the lot of those little lights.

357 does not like the "Rough" edges of Elektolumen lights but I do . The have "GRIP" when you hold them. Just druthers on my part. You want light? LED? Bright? Get a TSP.

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

All My Lights

Some Lights

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast

Call Wayne on phone. West coast daytime.

NikolaTesla /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

An Arc lamp is the Spark that takes away the Dark--HID Forever!

All My Lights

Some Lights

Aloft

Enlightened

I own a couple Streamlight Jr's and three EL XM-3's. I find it impossible to tell which has the greater output using my eyes, but the XM-3 has a very nice corona for lighting up the "close in" area. It's also considerably bulkier than the SL Jr, and heavier. Both have great colored LED's, very white! One big advantage of the XM-3. . . it uses virtually any type of battery, including lithiums, my choice for keeping it in a car glove box or an emergency kit (mine is stocked with lithium cells for small radios, lights, etc.). The SL Jr. comes with a warning from the company that using lithiums will void the warranty. Seems like a lot of CPFers still use Li in the Jr with no ill effects, but I'm partial to the XM-3 for it's superior beam quality and "lithiumability".

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast

Streamlight may be using a "c.y.a." note to limit their warranty liability. OTOH I understand that 3AA lights such as the Streamlight 3AA Luxeon Tasklight and the Gerber LX 3.0 can be damaged by use of Lithiums.