G2/6P versus M2

mokona2

Enlightened
Is the only difference between the these lights is that the M2 is more shock isolated (versus recoil)? Is there no gain in throw (since both are using the same P60/P61 LA)? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

stockae92

Enlightened
i don't believe there is any gain in throw since they all used the same LAs

i thought i heard the M2 *might* give a slightly less side spill due to the fact that the LAs are resting deeper in the shock isolated bezel

M2 also got a pocket clip, double o-ring at the tail for better water resistance and HA finish

does M2 has clicky (i think not) and better lens than G2?

ferreter

Newly Enlightened
From my experience with a 6P versus an M2 the M2 does indeed have slightly less sidespill than the 6P due to the shock isolated bezel, but not enough to really worry me.

Output is exactly the same due to the LA's being the same (P60/P61)

The M2 doesn't have a clicky, just an LOTC. The M2 also has a rubber grip ring.

Ferreter

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
All three of these are a bit different. The G2 isn't very water resistant, doesn't have a LOTC and has a lexan lens.

The 6P adds LOTC and pyrex lens and water resistance.

The M2 takes that furthor and is built like a tank and adds the shock isolated bezel.

M2 does not come with a clickie. You can buy one for any of these lights tho.

M2 = HARD use light. Pretty much as tough as you can imagine. I suspect the only thing better would be a L5 where there would be no bulb to blow. I would avoid the G2 when water might be involved and I dislike the lexan style lens. Otherwise it is a decent light. The 6P is somewhere in the middle.

-john

dougmccoy

Enlightened
I concur with John N about the three lights mentioned. I would add that the G2 can be made much more water resistant by the application of silicon sealant between the rubber button cover and the tailcap. This trick will enable the G2 to endure a dunking quite happily provided the lexan lens doesn't leak too readily.
The 6P is the usual candidate for the Surefire 'N' rating for water proof certification.
The M2 has a smaller sidespill of light and is more difficult to find a good holster for due to the rubber grip ring. I personally find the clip on the M2 is next to useless due to its orientation and does not make for a secure carry.
Doug

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree that the M2 clip is useless. I don't find the orientation so much of a problem, but it isn't strong enough to secure such a large, heavy light. I suspect the SF U2 clip would have been much better. Either that, or a much stronger clip like the heavy duty Ti clip on the Sebenza. In any case, I removed the clip on mine.

-john

Skyline

Enlightened
Most of the major points have been made already. However, it should be pointed out that a better comparison is the G2Z vs the M2. This is interesting because the G2Z has essentially the same features as the M2, except for the clip, single o-ring, and Nitrolon vs Aluminum. While the M2 is still king in terms of shock isolation, the G2Z comes pretty damn close! Also, the G2Z is much lighter than the M2, and takes everyday wear (scratches, dings) much better than the M2.

I currently own the G2, G2Z, 6P, and M2; the G2Z is the one I carry as my EDC!

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the G2Z have a full shock isolation bezel? I didn't think so.

Quick note - there is a NRA version of the G2Z which is cheaper (if you are a NRA member). This makes it even a better deal.

-john

symes

Enlightened
My M2 was N certd by Surefire and it dives without a problem to 80ft.

For an EDC - another option is to go E2e+E2C+C2/M2head this lets you do P60/P61 with a very small footprint/weight...

Even though it is slowly being eclipsed by all the other fun toys, M3, M6, Tigerlight, 5W LEDs etc... My M2, my first SF, I still really like, and with a KL5 head and KT1 turbohead, I can cover most bases.... though no use for an EDC, the M2+KT1 I still think to be one of the best kept SF secrets as it provides a great narrow spot, cramming 65 lumens into a good long distance throw...

mokona2

Enlightened
Thanks all. I currently have a couple of G2s, a 6P and an L5. I was considering finding an M2 bezel for the L5 (which has a clickie tailcap) and converting the 6P to a 9P for more output without sacrificing run time.

The G2 is good enough for me around the house or as an outdoor EDC, but maybe I'd use the L5/M2 more if I swapped the bezel out (LED better indoors, incan for outdoors).

Skyline

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
John N said:
Does the G2Z have a full shock isolation bezel? I didn't think so.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. One of the benefits of Nitrolon is the inherent "flexibility" allowing a lot of natural shock isolation. It's surprisingly effective and a useful feature of Nitrolon lights.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Symes, how did you get your M2 dive rated? Buy it from SF that way? Send one in and say "Dive rate it?" What was the cost over and above the cost of the light? Just curious.

The C2 is the M2 without the SIB and without the second O-ring in the tailcap. Mine is black anodized, which I like more than the HAIII just for looks (The C2 is available in HAIII like the M2). It has the same square body, clip, and rubber grip ring.

I happen to like the clip on the C2. It works great as a belt clip for me anyway. I usually have it behind my spare .45 magazine(s) on my left side when I'm carrying. In winter and to work, it goes in my left coat pocket with a 550 paracord lanyard.

bouncer

Enlightened
g2 can be converted to a pyrex lense with a g2z bezel part#14401-1 for black from surefire

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You don't NEED the G2Z bezel. Get the lens from flashlightlens.com and use something to open the bezel with (I used the watch case opener I have)