Solitaire LED Mods (Help)

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Has anyone tried any of the Solitaire LED mods featured on Quickbeams site? Being a newbie to modding lights I wouldn't know where to start. I was thinking of this one:
Solitaire Mod

I specifically don't understand a few things:

[ QUOTE ]
The stoptabs still need to be filed off as described in the first Solitaire mod.

[/ QUOTE ]
What are stoptabs?

Second, how this would come together inside the light?

Tailcap-->Spring w/ Resistor-->Battery-->Into Light

I'm also open to any other Mods if anyone has any other ideas.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Danny..."stoptabs" are the part of the wire on an LED near the base that is wider than the rest of the wire (...or "lead"). In order for the LED's leads to be plugged into a bi-pin bulb socket like the one on a Mag Solitaire, the stoptabs need to be filed or dremmelled down in order for the leads to fit in the socket. If you look at the leads of a 5MM LED, you'll see the stoptabs near the top of the leads...hope that helps!

PJD

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't have to do that when I modded my dad's AAA Minimag.

Scroll down and look at the update at the bottom. I think that's the way to start, once you get that down you can move on to resistors and stuff. .

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I'll get a Solitaire later on in the week. I wonder if BatteryStation carries those batteries. I hope I find them.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
you can get those batt's for $1.77 for two at wal mart.

I have done four flashlight review's "quick mod" soli's. i love em, i did a few thing's to them a bit different. i use a very conductive gold spring from a mixing console you find in recording studio's (i am session/sideman musician)
that is very light tension but longer then the one recommended. you can get the same spring minus the gold plating, at a ACE hardware store, I will try to to get the spring #. In the tail cap i soldered from the two little contact's to the middle, where i made a bulb of silver solder for the spring to sit on.Then i bent the top spring's last coil end across and in a curve, so it makes a "cup" that fit's the MN21/23 batt bottom contact like a glove.
Since the spring coils'up in the lamp and touch's the side's, and the cap is now covered in conductive materal to minimize bad contact, I get no flickering and brighter light.(tried the bolt and nut setup, noticably less bright)
I use a NTE led 5mm, from local elctronic supply that is a 12degree angle, and 7500mcd and the angle really make's it throw! and i mean ever better then my arcAAA -P. I do want to try some other 5mm's light's, super bright or ledcorp, at 11000mcd, and see if there brighter, and the 15% angle is ok.I had did my first two with 5mm led's i canibalized from some disposable keychain photon looking dollar light's and they did real well, but NTE's angle and or power was the ticket to making this thing actually have a beam that throw's. runtime is about regular button cell light's, maybe a tad shorter but not much. Color is wierd but is as good as any white and green leds at illumanating detail.

not eactly a ASAP lux mod, but very bright, fun to make and durable. i like mine, and use them everyday. VDG

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I got my solitaire. I got a nice Pewter/Gray one.

Now, where can I find the 3mm LED I need to do this mod?

Thanks.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might be able to pick up a Microlux Solitair on B/S/T if you are lucky. It's a 1 watt luxeon in a Solitair with a nice acrylic lens. I love mine - it's one of the lights I EDC.