Q for Star Trek Fans......

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Hi all,
You know how an idea tends to run around ones head like a stray charge in a super conductor.

Ive had one that's twitched me for about a week.

Ever notice how fans make a big thing about various captians from the show. Sisco, Kirk, Picard, Archer and Janeway.

What about the 'short lived' ones.

Im thinking of Paul Winfields (I forget the characters name) running the USS Reliant. Yeah he got perhaps 200 seconds of screen time but it's worth remembering.

Also what's with Star Trek's use of Chrysler product names on star ships. Reliant, Valiant, and a few others.

Just another strange one.
Keep it warm
Jack Crow in the first world

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mean Capt. Clark Terrell from The Wrath of Khan ?

C

Cosmic Superchunk

Or Captain Harriman (played by Alan Ruck from Ferris Bueller's Day Off) of the Enterprise-B from Star Trek Generations.

fuelblender

Enlightened
My most memorable and often spoken line was "He's dead, Jim".

Good `ol Bones, I enjoyed how him and Spock used to try each other.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
All,

That's right, you got more former captians that I did. Forgot about those guys.

Who was the captian of the ill fated Grissom? That was another short timer on the job.

Comador Mendez. Capt. Decker the first and second.

Perhaps a few others.

Later guys and keep thinking.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Mike
The Grissom was commanded by the whimpy J. T. Estebaun.
Good thing for David Marcus (Kirks Illigimate kid) and Savvik he was such a puss or they would have been aboard the Grissom when she was destroyed.

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Mike.
You also mentioned Decker.
There was Matt Decker who commanded the Constellation (and allowed her to be practically destroyed) in The Doomsday Machine.
There was also Will Decker (presumably his son)in the first ST movie.
At least we found a subject I know something about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's not forget the first (onscreen) female Captains: Tryla Scott (TNG episode "Conspiracy") and Rachel Garrett ("Yesterday's Enterprise"), the only female Enterprise captain we know of (yet). (In between those episodes they featured Capt. Phillippa Louvois in "The Measure of a Man", but she was not commanding a ship, though she was an old flame of Picard. Damn, why can't I remember imporatnt things as good as those trivia?)

Another question: Does anyone know what those wrist-flashlights were they used on the "Voyager"? I assume that they made some custom straps with Surefire weapon lights. On "Enterprise" they use M4s (with some LEDs glued behind the head for a more futuristic look...Personally I think "naked" M4s would be nicer).

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
Dunno about the lights. I didn't pay a lot of attention to Voayager and I pay NO attention to Enterprise. The whole concept of a prequal is completely BOGUS. Especially in the world of ST.

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, "Enterprise" kinda grew on me. The first 2 seasons were nothing special, but the arc in the 3rd was good, kinda like a better version of the Voyager-spaceship-alone concept. And now in Season 4 they seem to address all the TOS back history, including the makeup change of the Klingons. "Enterprise" is getting quite good.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Captain Sulu in The Undiscovered Country.

"I'm sorry captain, your message is breaking up." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
UncleFester said:
In The "Omega Glory" Capn Ron Tracy (I think) of the Exeter thought he had found a fountain of youth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't he the one who wasted hordes of natives with his hand phaser (picture on left) and several power packs? I'm not sure, but that sounds kind of like it might be a violation of the Prime Directive...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Yes, I remember the Daystrom M5 computer from "The Ultimate Computer". Just saw that episode a few weeks ago, if I remember correctly. And yes, it wasted a couple of other starships before one of the Enterprise crew (Scotty or Spock or Kirk?) convinced it to drop its defenses because it committed murder.

TrueBlue

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget the captain of the ship that Kirk had to fight with only tools found on a primitive planet. I don't remember the lizard with the jewel eyes but he was Gorn Captain. HSSSSS!

And what about the Romulan captain in the TV episodes, The Balance of Terror. Played extremely well by Mark Lenard? That captain is a memorible one.

The Klingon Captain Koloth in The Trouble with Tribbles?

Klingon Captain Kang in The Day of the Dove?

Captain Kor in...uh...Errand of Mercy?

GeoffChan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
elgarak said:
Another question: Does anyone know what those wrist-flashlights were they used on the "Voyager"? I assume that they made some custom straps with Surefire weapon lights. On "Enterprise" they use M4s (with some LEDs glued behind the head for a more futuristic look...Personally I think "naked" M4s would be nicer).

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they're from South Africa. Designed for use in Search and Rescue.

Geoff