Any experience with streamlight tl-2?

alpha

Newly Enlightened
I am considering streamlight tl-2 and surefire g2, ive heard good things about the g2 but what about the tl-2

Thanks in advance

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a TL-2 LED recently. It isn't as bright as I had expected but I'm comparing it with a Pelican M6 LED. I really like the size and shape of the TL-2 and it is probably very good in incandescent version.

From the reviews that I've read the redesigned TL-2 LED is going to be very good.

flashlightfreek

Newly Enlightened
Hello alpha and welcome to CPF!, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
The TL-2, huh? Excellent light. I own the LED version and my friend owns the incandescent version. We are both very pleased with them. The TL-2 LED is my carry light.

The new design is not that pleasing. The only thing different about them is the anti-roll body. It makes the whole light about an inch longer.

I keep a G2 in my car, polymer body and its 65 lumen output. Another excellent choice.

Great choices alpha! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

jbroker83

Enlightened
I own both the SL-2 Incan and the Surefire G2. If you're looking for a great light for a decent price....then the G2 is the one for you. There are, however, some major differences when deciding between the two:

Surefire G2-- 2xCR123---65 Lumens....upgradeable to 120 Lumens with a Surefire P61 Reflector/Bulb
The G2 Nitrolon does not conduct electricity, and it does a nice job in the winter, as it doesn't get near as cold as the TL-2 would, and in the summer, it doesn't get near as hot.
The Streamlight SL-2 has an adjustable beam...so it is capable of throwing a bit farther. The Sl-2 comes with a clip, which can be removed. The G2 has no clip. The SL-2 has a lock out feature, but you must loosen the cap quite a ways to make it lock out. The G2 has no lockout tailcap, but you can unscrew the bezel a ways and it will also not turn on.

They are both great lights that I use a lot. You may also want to consider the Streamlight Scorpion, in my opinion, it's more similar to the G2 than the TL-2.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flashlightfreek said:
Hello alpha and welcome to CPF!, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif
The TL-2, huh? Excellent light. I own the LED version and my friend owns the incandescent version. We are both very pleased with them. The TL-2 LED is my carry light.

The new design is not that pleasing. The only thing different about them is the anti-roll body. It makes the whole light about an inch longer.

I keep a G2 in my car, polymer body and its 65 lumen output. Another excellent choice.

Great choices alpha! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I received my new version of the TL-2 LED today, and there are NUMEROUS differences from the original aside from the anti-roll bezel. It has a glass lens vice polycarbonate...MUCH more scratch resistant! It is fully regulated vice resistored-down direct drive. It's beam is considerably tighter than the original due to the reflector being deeper. The extra length of the new model IS NOT just from the regulation circuitry; it's from the much deeper reflector...and it throws NOTICABLY further! Last but not least, it's at least 25-30% brighter than the original. Aesthetics aside, the new version TL-2 LED is a new animal altogether, and IMHO, well worth the price. Incidentally, it DOES throw further than the Pel M6 LED as well! Not by a "whole" lot, but further none-the-less.

PJD

alpha

Newly Enlightened
thank you guys .. this forum helped me a lot but i think i will go for the tl-2 incandecent because i like flashlights with a lot of throw ... and i find the bulb replacement cheaper for the streamlight than for the surefire .. i am starting to consider the tl-2 led two but sincerly i only use my flashlight for camping that is the main use i will give the flashlight so the flashlight will not receive a daily use

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
flashlightfreek said:
LED won't burn out, never needs replacing!

The new TL-2 LED is not brighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to start an argument or anything, but the new TL-2 LED IS brighter than the original...and by a VERY noticable margin. The numbers on Quickbeam's site indicate this, and the fact that I did a side by side comparison between old and new models proves it. Old model rated at 30 lumens, new model rated at 42 lumens with a deeper, tighter focusing reflector. The difference in brightness and throw when compared side by side is VERY apparent.

PJD

cdf

Enlightened
The new TL-2 (led ) AKA knightfighter is a nice unit . Price is right , I like the agressive texturing . It would be a nice lite for gloved hands . It has a pleasing throw , nice hot spot , and usable side spill . I,m not sure how good the anodizing is , but looks good . I'm guessing it would be a good host for modding , as the guts are easy to get to . Streamlite has sure improved a lot in recent times . While not as nice , ands prolly not as rugged as a Surefire L4 , it's less than half the price .

As a result of the new anti- roll head , the unit does'nt fit in some off the shelf pouches , ( such as Uncle Mike's Scorpion/6P pouch ) .

While aadmitting my bias as a surefire addict , I have to say it's a good light I'd gladly carry , or gift to someone .

Freshman

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Old model rated at 30 lumens, new model rated at 42 lumens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh? I thought the TL-2 LED was rated at 22 Lumens?

Dyna

Newly Enlightened
Just bought one a few weeks ago. Incandecent model. This is my first tac type light. My reasoning for the purchase. Comes with a 100 lumen lamp assembely as standard, I liked the switch set up, thumb on/off or twist tail cap a little bit for always on. Plus the price 49$, fairly close to half of a comparable SF version. I liked the solid feel of the SF's, but any comparable model came with a 65 lumen lamp and you needed to buy another lamp assembly to get the 120 lumen.

My impressions...nice bright white beam. great throw. Adjustable flood to spot. Spot isnt as tight as I would have expected..but again this may be the case with most small tac lamps.. IDK. If your standing next to a door and shining it outside, the part of the beam that doesnt go with the spot part can be a little distracting as it shines off the doorway side etc.

The light is compact, I have large hands so operation of the light with the thumb causes me some problems hanging on to it, for anything other than a short duration.

I am impressed with it over all and think it is a good starter light. I dont think you will be disappointed.

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Freshman said:
[ QUOTE ]
Old model rated at 30 lumens, new model rated at 42 lumens.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh? I thought the TL-2 LED was rated at 22 Lumens?

[/ QUOTE ]

Freshman...you're right! The original was rated at 22 lumens; not 30. Dunno WTH I was thinking about! IMHO, you can't go wrong with the new version. It blows the original away in every aspect!

PJD

auriga

Newly Enlightened
I bought a TL-2 LED a while ago (the old version). Being my first "real" flashlight i don't have anything else than a minimag to compare it to but i really like it. It's bright enough for everything i have used it for up to this point. I would also like to point out that the light i got has a glass lens and Streamlight's homepage as well as the package it came in says 30 lumen. The serial number on mine is almost 16000