?? About Maglites- Air Force Model ??

Farmer_Rob

Newly Enlightened
I have a light that I found about 15 years while I was still in the service- it was left in place of my stolen car! a Maglite from Ontario CA- takes 2 C cells- and is very nicely engraved with the US Air Force Logo on the head of the lamp-

3 quick ??'s
1> do Mag's have serial #'s or is it a model number engraved on this, or perhaps a service issue # ?? the # is: 20897009

2> Anyone perform mods on these- I suck w/ a soldering iron !

3> Any value to a military issue-Maglite??

I just remembered it was still in the garage after 15 years, I had just ordered my A2 and a NQIII thx you all... Perphaps this will be my mod'd third, or trade fodder!

Thx- Rob

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thanks.gif

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Yes, Mags do have a serial # inscripted on the smooth part behind the head.

2. Yes, MANY people on this website mod mags all the time. As matter of fact, I just ordered parts to mod a Mag to a Mag85 (very bright incandescent mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif). Try and get in contact with Wilkey. He is the incan GOD.

3. Unfortunatly, the logos of military and police forces on Mags is very very common; so it's probably not worth anymore than a normal 15 year old Mag.

Hope that helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Later,
Baker

newo

Newly Enlightened
I could be wrong about this, but in 20 plus years in the AF, I never saw issue equipment with the AF heraldic art (the crest) on it, other than some old style dress uniform buttons. Most issue equipment is functional looking, and if anything is engraved on it, it is a contract number (similar to what is on the County Comm Ultra-Gs). Contract numbers tend to have multiple hyphens in them.

Having said that, a lot of stuff gets sold in the AF Base Exchanges, Army Post Exchanges, and Naval Exchanges that has crests on it - miniature Swiss Army knives, flashlights, paperweights, etc, etc. In the Pentagon there is a uniform store that serves all the services, and they have stuff like that for all the services for sale. So an Army guy, for example, could wander in and buy something with the AF crest on it if he had the mind to do so.

The number you are describing sounds like the flashlight serial number to me.

My guess is that your flashlight was purchased by somebody somewhere in a Military Exchange (kind of like a department store), and that it is not an issue item.

newo

Newly Enlightened
That, my friend, is not an Air Force crest. It is an engraving of an Air Force Security Police badge, which incorporates a portion, but not all of, the AF crest as a component part. The Security Police in the AF include both law enforcement types (police) as well as security types - (basically, ground combat troops that guard missile silos, weapons storage areas, flight lines, front gates, etc.) The person(s) who took your car had a sense of humor . . . .

watt4

Enlightened
perhaps you snagged the flashlight of the SP's who investigated at the scene of the crime? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Farmer_Rob

Newly Enlightened
watt 4 saud- SP's who "investigated" at the scene of the crime?

well- since it was there at 4:30 am when I came out BEFORE I called... perhaps it was the SP's who "instigated" - LOL

turbodog

Flashaholic
Maybe they left it as a clue to who took your car. They could have needed your car to chase down a spy or something. And then the spy killed them before they could return your car.

danielo_d

Enlightened
Maybe it was something the thieves stole earier. Then used it to steal your car and forgot it.

But I like TurboDog's scenario alot better.

Danno