AR coated or UCL lens

HgRyu

Enlightened
What is the difference between AR coated lens and UCL ?
Which lens is better than the other ?

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened
Our UCL® is AR coated, but most importantly, the term "UCL" is a name I'll give only to a lens that meets our transmission requirements.

A UCL® lens will transmit at least 98% - in some applications, more. It has a lot to do with the substrate. The glass under the AR is a low-iron glass that has VERY little tint. Sometimes referred to as "water-white" glass, it's lacking the green tint that normal soda-lime glass has.

We also need to make sure we're talking about AR as being an abbreviation for Anti-Reflective. There are some companies that market an AR coated polycarbonate or acrylic, but it usually means "abrasion resistant" in those cases. One such instance was the lens used in certain Arc lights. They were advertised as being AR coated, but it was "abrasion resistant."

Now, you can throw an AR coating on any type of glass, but to get the highest transmission levels, it has to be glass that has a high transmission rate to begin with.

Last edited:

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
wondering, does a UCL that let's 98% of the light through,
better then no glass? i have only tried this indoor's the other night, but i removed the lens from a terralux ministar2
mag AA , and my soon to be modded 2D mag, and in a dark room did not see a difference. can the effect of UCL be scene outdoor's better? i had planned on buying a few, and will need to for a couple of mod's, (heat issue) but now wonder if there is really a visable difference? VDG

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
To really see 98% transmission, you will need some sort of light measuring device....light meter, solar cell with a dmm, etc.

Some time back when I tested some lenses for transmissiion, I measured each lens at least 10 times to get a good average value for that lens. Used the same flashlight for each test and used the different lenses in that light. The standard used for compairison was the light with no lens. Also needed a light with a long FLAT runtime or a fresh set of batteries for each lens.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Roy said:
To really see 98% transmission, you will need some sort of light measuring device....light meter, solar cell with a dmm, etc.

Some time back when I tested some lenses for transmissiion, I measured each lens at least 10 times to get a good average value for that lens. Used the same flashlight for each test and used the different lenses in that light. The standard used for compairison was the light with no lens. Also needed a light with a long FLAT runtime or a fresh set of batteries for each lens.

[/ QUOTE ]

so your saying that the UCL aside from heat resistance, and
scratch resistance, didn't make a visual difference? VDG

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
As compaired to a OEM lens on a Maglight 2xD, there was about a 8-10% increase in light transmission with the UCL.

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok I 'll be more direct, do "you personally" see the difference that 8-10% make's? VDG