Security officers and Law enforcement officers

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are your thoughts?

Law Enforcement officers went to police academy at minimum.

Most security officers in Texas only have just a few hours of training for unarmed sites.
4-5 days for getting an armed license.
2-3 more for the pepper spray, handcuff and baton gear.

I am a private citizen, level3 commissioned/licensed to work as an armed security officer in the state of Texas.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Security Officers and Law Enforcement Officers

Experiences or stories by cpf members of either.

For example:
The ticket that Craig got and had a judge throw out for his blue wheelchair led's a few years back.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened

I actually plan on becoming a police officer. At the moment I'm applying for the Explorer Program with the local Police Deparment.

Police and Security are different. I've met many Officers as well as a few security guards. My friend's Dad is also an armed security guard. He is a great person as well as all the officers I have met. That's what really matters, that you are good people. When people need help your education, training, or race doesn't matter...

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have another thread in the cpf underground covering this too if it helps any. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
No biggie to me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Samoan

Enlightened
I'm licenced non-commissioned. I was under the impression that there were only two types. Commissioned or non-commissioned. Level III is just the name of the test that you need to pass to be commissioned.

We do event, site, and personal security. This is something I do on the side. A few times a year it's 15 hours a day for between 3 and 7 days (ACL, SXSW, etc.). Other than that it's the occasional concert or private party. We don't have any commissioned security due primarily to the insurance requirements.

I thought a commissioned licence required like 25-30 hours of training?

I'm still not exactly sure what the point of your question is.

-F

Samoan

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
3rd_Shift_Lights said:
Experiences or stories by cpf members of either.

For example:
The ticket that Craig got and had a judge throw out for his blue wheelchair led's a few years back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah I hear ya.

We work really closely with APD for our events. I can count on one hand the number of times I've worked a show and there was no APD there...and both of those shows were produced by the same radio station and I felt *very* uncomfortable at both.

-F

oklalawman

Enlightened

Security guard training is a joke. It is way to short. It is ok if all you are supposed to do is observe and report but many do way too much police orientated work. A freind of mine works patrol for one of the local security companies that patrols apt complexes. They respond to domestic calls, disturbances, tresspassers and so forth. His company does not even supply insurance and pays less than $10 an hour. He has less than 2 weeks training and more or less no back up. I think that until the government steps in and regulates more what security can do and require more training for increased pay security at most levels is a dead end. Now if you can work for like one of the nuke facilities, NASA or some thing like that it would be a different story.

3rd_shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

I went to training at 2 places;
One at the actual security place I worked 4 years ago.
And again last summer at another place (whole 4 day course) when I could have just renewed.
It was better, but I was still left with more questions than answers when done with that one too.
Only so much info could be taught in 4 days.
I did work security at apartments last fall.
It wasn't too bad, but it wasn't really fun either.
I'll never do that again.

What really got to me there was that another security company at the apartments prior had guards acting more like police as I later found out.

I had to tell so many people there "No, I am not a Police Officer."
"No, I don't write tickets either."

As long as I stuck to observing and reporting, everything went smoothly there all things considered.

My Father was an Army MP at a nuclear silo at Fort Killeen Tx. in the mid sixties.
The silo is presently shut down and renamed to West Fort Hood.