ok very simple mod for a maglight soltaire aaa

raggie33

*the raggedier*
this was a gift from my mom before her time.i just found it again i kinda never used it before cause the beam was pretty bad,but now i wanna carry it but wanna change beam.whats a simple easy mod i can do to it

jaids

Enlightened
If you cannot find a better solution go to walmart and buy a couple packs of mn21/23 cells. They should be ~$1.77 each. Then get a white LED from cascadesurplus.com and a #4 spring. Next drill out the reflector and clip the leads on the LED. Drop the LED in place of the normal bulb and insert the battery in the tube and the spring behind it. Screw on the tailcap. If the LED does not light then remove it and flip it around. If it works then you are good to go. Screw down the head until it turns off. Then you are done.

greenLED

Flashaholic
I don't think that'll fit the Solitaire. Would you consider something like this?
I've done a couple for my wife and my son, and would gladly do one for you if you're interested. Just let me know.

EDIT: jaids beat me to it.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
cool i like alll thease ideas id preafre to do it here.just cause id be afraid it would get lost in mail.plus i sure neeed the learning exprance but ty very much for offer.would that last mod work with 5mm?

jaids

Enlightened
GreenLED, 3mm leds are hardly bright at in comparison to 5mm leds. Maybe sand down the the 5mm led?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
right now im shocked at the dim output,but i love how the light looks the body a light i mean

greenLED

Flashaholic
PM sent, raggie. Yeah, it won't be too bright. A *bright* option would be LED_ASAP's drop-in mod, but that's expensive.

jaids, don't you need a resistor to prevent the LED to go *poof*? And, yes, 5mm would be brighter but you have to drill the reflector.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i mean it aint bright with incadescent i dont know what it will be with 5mm or 3mm .but im sure it will be improvemnet

jaids

Enlightened
No, the internal resistance on the cells inside the mn21 build up very fast, and the voltage drops under load. Certainly this would be overdriving, but it is worth it imho.

What i am saying is sand down the epoxy shell of the led so that it will fit in without drilling out the reflector.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Raggs, you can probably open up the reflector with a pocket knife and a little patience- its only plastic. (You poke the blade in and start twisting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) With the LED, the reflector isn't really doing very much as the LED's dome is already designed to make a beam. In fact, you might try it with no reflector at all first. I have some Nichia 5mms I would be happy to send you if you are interested. You can bend the leads to touch both ends of the MN21/23 cell without even using the flashlight to see how it will look.

Larry

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im probaly going to take a led from some key chains lights that i used up the batts but tahnk you very much for offer.they was only 1 buck.

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Hey Raggs, I only use T-bin LSIII's and W or better LSV's now. What am I supposed to do with a bunch of R-ranked, 5mm Nichias that have been in my junk box so long that the silver-plated leads have started to tarnish? I honestly have no use for them! Please PM me with an addy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (Or do I have to pry it outta Charlie? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Larry

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
You have to have either a reflector or a sleeve on the solitaire as it uses it to turn it on/off. The mod mentioned with the 12v remote battery you have to ream out the reflector for a 5mm. If you have a set of drill bits you can try that.
I suppose you may even be able to get a really long spring ansd use 3-4 LR44 watch batteries.