Supercharged eternaLight (now w. Pics)

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really boosted the output of my eternaLight ergoMarine with an easy mod. I simply replaced the existing LEDs with new 26000mcd 5mm ultra bright white LEDs purchased from warden_jp2002 on ebay. The ergo is now brighter than my eliteMax (even in overdrive). The light now has more throw too, as a result of the narrower beam width of the new LEDs, but there's still reasonable side spill. I'm considering doing the same to my eliteMax as well.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Re: Supercharged eternaLight

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool mod. Did you notice anything about the electronics, whether they were rated for higher current load? I wanted to try the same thing with my inova x1, but was unsure whether the board would run a brighter led.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast

These brighter leds still run at 20-30ma. These are not the 100ma 5mm ISP's. They are just more efficeint it appears. There is a thread about them. They run cooler than the existing leds, because same power in, more light out, means less energy going to heat.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast

right on. The narrower beam angle would help also. Some really bright colored leds would be nice. Would be nice to know when I found the right item.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Like Isaac said, these are really just more efficient 5mm LEDs. The electronics don't know the difference.

Lightmeup

Enlightened

Hey Ron,
I found warden_jp2002 on ebay, but they didn't have of those LEDs listed. What kind of pricing/quantity were they offering? Is it very hard to replace the LEDs in the eternalight?

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

me wants too. link and instructions anyone? for a cromag to be able to follow?

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast

tried a search on ebay and found another seller selling similar stuff here

to anyone that buy it, can i have a few? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
i sure don't need 100 pieces or 50 pieces

jtice

Flashaholic

Ron, I just ordered a eternalight elitemax last night!

And yes, before it even arrives, I was thinking last night about swapping out the leds !!! LOLOL

It would be SUPER simple to do sence they are in the open there, once you pop the cover off.

Do you think its brighter just cuz they have a tighter beam angle? or are they actually brighter?
Did you loose any brightness or width in side spill?

Please give me any info or tips you might have, I am really considering doiing this to mine when it arrives.

Also, do you know what mA its sending to each led?

Thanks !
~John

cy

Flashaholic

changing out the four led's to ARCmania new high output led will give eternalight a new lease on life.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast

I bought a 50 pack of the LEDs for $10 + $10 shipping from Hong Kong. I believe these new LEDs are actually brighter (more efficient) plus the narrower beamwidth adds to the overall perception of more output.

To install them I simply snipped off the existing LEDs, leaving about 1/8" of the leads still soldered to the circuit board. I then trimmed and shaped the leads of the new LEDs, inserted them into the holes in the gasket, and then soldered them to the stubs of the old leads. I had considered removing the circuit board and desoldering the old LEDs, but I think the method I just outlined proved easier.

Also here's a link to a discussion on the LEDs I used.

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened

Ron,

I also have a EliteMax and am very interested in this mod. I don't see an e-mail for you, would you mind giving me a PM? Tks. [email protected]

Anyone out there interested in doing such a mod for me for a fair price? Although I've done my share of electrical work, I've got no experience with the micro stuff. Tks.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK okay so Is everyone PMing Ron to ask for a few LEDs?? :nauty:

How about it ron? Can you part with 20 or so for the few of us interested here? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtice

Flashaholic

lol, ah, er, ah no, thats not what I asked,, of corse not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleye11.gif

rocketmaninphx

Newly Enlightened

Anyone want to buy the 100 from the eBay Auction ($30 + 10 Shipping) and do a Group Buy? Cost could be less than $5 for 10 with Postage and Envelopes.

Any thoughts on trying the 8MM or 10MM?

Are the ARC Mania LEDs the ones that Lambda is selling?
I thought they were side emitting.

jtice

Flashaholic

Gary,

Yea, we might have to so a group buy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I thought about 8mm leds, BUT!, they wont be worth it, the eternalights have a rubber gasket that goes all the way around the light, and around each 5mm led,,, to that wouldnt seal right.

The ones Lambda is selling,, well, im not sure really, i know you ground down, and polished the top of them for a differnt beam, but I dont know what they are to start with. They are not side emitters though, they look like a shorter 5mm led with a larger die.

~John